3D printing horns

Any colour, ive done my diversity training.

5 Likes

adjusted

While waiting for some more white PLA, I got agitated about the state of the support system for the mids towards. I have decided to rebuild this.

Got some chunky bits of wood etc for something nice and solid, and some twin slot stuff. And then decided some fine adjustment was required:

This is a system for adjusting the angle a compression driver points up at. By rotating the bottom cog-like thing, I can adjust the vertical angle at which the driver points by steps of less than a degree, between zero and about 15 degrees. Rather pleased with that.

3d printing is cool.

11 Likes

OK update time. I’ve changed the process, and it’s now really quick.

I have amended my macro that extracts info from the JMLC spreadsheet; it now produces circular splines. @coco has written a script that imports these into Fusion (it already had an import spline add-in - he added the functionality to import more than one at once). Running these produces this:

You can see the concentric blue lines - these are the splines. Fusion has a loft function that connects one loop to another; it happily accepts multiple profiles and creates a best fit curve. That’s the horn surface.

There it is with a mirror finish added so you can see how smooth it is.

This workflow is great - you spend a bit of time trying different profiles on the spreadsheet, and it’s just a couple of minutes to create it as a nice horn profile in Fusion that you can spin round and really see well. Pleased.

8 Likes

Meanwhile I’ve been printing them:

They are printed in two halves due to the size limitations of my printer. The printer can do about 20cm cubed, and these are almost 40cm wide. I modelled in some bolt locations so that I could align and squeeze them together while they’re being glued.

You can see a slight misalignment at the bottom. I’m not sure how precious I am about this, but I have improved the bolt/alignment system for the next one. We’ll see how that goes!

11 Likes

How many halves can you have in a whole?

:wink:

2 Likes

So tomorrow I should have a completed second horn, and can listen to them properly. The tacos had a sharp edge (they were made in Blender, and that doesn’t have the same functionality for rounding over that Fusion has), and I think that this is clearly audible. I have high hopes for these really.

The next project is woodwork - I’m going to build a much better support system for the three compression drivers. That might be this week, depending on weather and energy levels.

After that I’ll be working on a horn for the 2441s, probably an e-jmlc around 220-250Hz unless that gets far too big. That will involve a lot of modelling of the interfaces so I can assemble it, this issue is far from trivial. I may end up getting an extension system for the 3D printer before starting, not sure.

If anyone thinks they might want a horn, shout up. The PLA for a single horn the size of these is just over a tenner, so it’s not expensive to experiment.

5 Likes

Ooh, a 600hz pair like the above to fit my S2’s? :flushed:

I’ll model one and see. Is that a 1.4" throat?

I. 5" - an inch and a half. That would be exciting!

Like that? It would be 50cm x 20cm and 22cm deep, so could be printed in three pieces I think. I modelled 1.4", so it would actually be a fraction smaller.

2 Likes

Very cool. :+1:

So I’ll see how the one I’m currently printing comes out, to see how the bolt system works out. If it’s good, I’ll make you some.

What colour do you want? I use the Sunlu PLA here: https://amzn.eu/icNSBSF will need 2 or 3kg I think

1 Like

Is it very black or more dark grey? Not bothered really, just askin’ :grin:

black

5 Likes

@AmDismal Send him a swatch :grinning:

1 Like

“Lock me in the cupboard mother and feed me pins!” Fucking brilliant.

6 Likes

Plan. :+1:

It’s quite black, but I hesitate to say this to someone who probably cares about the depth of blacks more than most!

1 Like

1 Like