55 inch 4K Television

It’s good info this guy’s, hopefully we’ll be replacing our old Panasonic plasma soonish, we’d be looking for something around 42", just because of the limitations of where it has to fit.

Do check Rob, I replaced my old 42" Plasma with the 55" OLED and as there is next to no bezel, its not actually much bigger in overall physical size.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good call, the bezel on this old thing is massive!

Would it fit in the Subaru though?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s humungous!

we noticed that our 55" OLED was hardly physically larger than our old Sony 40" LED

2 Likes

The review of the CX is up on AVF. As noted, it lacks all the UK TV catch up apps which are still present on the 9 Series sets from last year.

You simply have to check size and not just work on like for like with older tellies.

I was worried 65 was too big and measured and double checked. I could have gone larger after seeing it in place, and would have been mad had I gone smaller. We had 45 before… And I wanted the 55 as a guess.

My old bezel was probably 2x 10cm itself across both dimensions.

2 Likes

Smart stuff on TVs is a mixed bag. A Roku stick or similar would be a longer term option but it means another (albeit small) box and another remote.

I have an LG OLED 55 and am really happy with it. Normal TV, especially the HD channels, Netflix and Prime work really well and pictures from Bluray are excellent.

1 Like

The thing is, on LG’s web OS, it really hasn’t been a mixed bag at all on the 6,7,8 and 9 platform models. I’ve had no need of a Roku since the B7 arrived because everything- even the fringe ones like On Demand 5 and UKTV Play work a charm. The fact that’s missing on the newest ones is a nuisance.

Nobody has mentioned Samsung. How about this.

1 Like

And here is the 2020 model.

That’s good to know, support of tv smart apps has been a real weak point

Been a big fan of LG TVs for years and especially WebOS. I have tried android tvs and whatever horror show sharp use on their TVs and WebOS is leagues ahead of anything else.
I recently treated myself to a 65inch OLED and sound bar when we moved house and the combo is fantastic. Has all the on demand and streaming stuff you could want and super easy to use.
Well recommended.

I popped into Curry’s to pick up my bargain tablet and had a Look at the TVs as I am thinking Of getting a new one for the new house.
55” OLED is the same price as 65” LED or QLED or Nanotechnology or whatever stupid name you want to give for LED.

They both looked very good. Both 4G both HDR.

Hard to tell in the shop as they are both showing material that looks fantastic but is OLED worth the compromise in size?

Yes. Deeper blacks ftw :+1:

Get an OLED.

I suspect OLED but I haven’t taken a good look at the competition recently. Why not visit your Richer Sounds they might be able to demo both with something other that the super hidef stuff you get on loop in Curry’s and you would get a 6 year warranty with them.

1 Like

Have a rummage in Richer Sounds. Their 5 6 year warranty on TVs is well worth the extra effort. They are usually cheaper than the competition too.

We bought a couple of big Samsungs from them around Xmas time. They looked after us very well in terms of price and chucked in a couple of free HDMI leads too.

2 Likes