55 inch 4K Television

which did you get? Louise might be looking for a new one. Her old Samsung is getting slowerer, and failing to hold its charge.

Snooze and you lose
I posted the deal in the Bargains forum a couple of days ago.
Offer over now but IPad Mini 5 64 for £250

Richer is a good idea if they can do a demo on real tv
I am just at the browsing stage right now.
Already there is a price difference on The CX and later CG models by LG.
Who knows where we will be in 3 months

I much preferred the picture on the Samsung TVs we looked at to the LG ones. I can’t remember if the technology was markedly different, but Richer Sounds were at pains to get us to watch a bit of football on the TVs we tried. The ball travelled much more believably on the Samsung (which I think wasn’t as foo-tastic as the LG). YMMV. We also tried Curry’s in Speke (was awful) and John Lewis (wanted us to buy a Jumbotron-a-like) before going to Richer Sounds.

you did, and I didn’t act, - she hates Apple. So i think my actions were correct.

I prefer OLED but I would say that as I own one and I’ve never paid money for a non self emitting TV. With side by side tests, you have to make damn sure you’re comparing apples with apples (ie, with both TVs running without wanky picture processing engaged).

Until recently, I’d have said LG was a shoo in but they’ve not got everything right for this year’s (X Series) sets- mainly with on demand services and not supporting both flavours of high dynamic range (you don’t need to care about the differences if you have both). If money is no object, Panasonic OLEDs are now the best TVs that money can buy. If you’re after a set that’s very nearly as good for quite a bit less, Philips are the ones this year. You get ambilight too which really does help with eye strain.

4 Likes

not if the set is placed in a window. My parents got weird reflections from their ambilight from the glass window behind the TV.

LG screen are excellent but their software is a bit meh.

I haven’t read the manual for the Philips OLED but the old LCD manuals specifically advised not to run Ambilight with reflective surfaces in ‘broadcast’ distance and you can switch it off for this reason. Otherwise, Bias lighting is an entirely beneficial proposition.

they switched it off, which was a waste of the feature. I nearly had the TV off of them, but we have the same window problem.

Given the size of the OLEDs, I imagine the bulk of them will be against (or on) a wall so it’s probably working better for the current generation of screens than it ever used to.

It’s just telly :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

I agree :grinning:

1 Like

That’s my view on all this too, they all look good in your front room.

There’s fuck all worth watching anyway.

1 Like

How can you say that!

3 Likes

Right, that’ll be you for the chop then.

It weel keel…

1 Like

1 Like

Stuff in Dolby Vision on netflix looks stunning on OLED. There is a lot of content too.

This :arrow_up:

Though many Netflix sources don’t have above 4K capability.

A bit late to the party here, but as I’m in the same boat I’ll chuck my tuppence in

I’m now waiting for Black Friday. If the last few years reductions of LG C series is indicative, then this year’s CX should have a chunky reduction and come in for a bit under a grand (in UK pesetas.)