AA Train thread

Pennsylvania Railroad S1- designed by Raymond Loewy.

Apparently a maintenance nightmare that never delivered the promised performance but… look at it :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

The PR also had GG1 electric locomotive styled by Raymond Loewy

4 Likes

Not much Diesel Action, so I’d like to mention Deltic. And it’s beautiful engine sound…

3 Likes

Period footage. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yes, there were a whole family of Mk1 based EMU variants. We had VEP and CEP (Vestibule Electro Pneumatic and Corridor Electro Pneumatic) in our part of Kent…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Which also allows us to go slightly off topic to Mine Sweepers/Torpedo Boats

I believe these Norwegian ones have Napier Deltic engines. The US Nasty ones certainly did.

1 Like

They went into the early 2000s, they were still being used when I started heading up to London with work. They also had the hilariously agricultural thumper 205s running down @MonitorGold10’s way still then as well.

1 Like

Also replaced the Mirlees engines in the Ton Class minesweepers providing a total of 6000 SHP. 119 of these were produced, i know all the RN ones were converted to Deltic, not sure about the foreign sale ones.

The RN also used the BR donkey boiler (used by BR to produce steam on diesel trains to feed the steam heating on old stock carriages). Used by the royal navy to produce steam for flash evapourators on diesel and gas turbine ships.

2 Likes

Never really looked at these until you mentioned it. Bigger than I expected but of course makes sense you need to produce enough steam to warm 10 or more coaches.

1 Like

Rodney Matthews’ vision of a steamer

Available here:

4 Likes

I dimly remember seeing that window pattern when I was a kid and wondering what the hell it was for, quite possibly as they sat decaying in various sidings… Mind, I dimly remember the very last few steam trains running on SR…

Fascinating layout to the carriages - still a lot of wasted space, and must have been a 'mare of a skull-smacker in the upper compartments with a bit of clumsy braking from the driver…

Cool tho’. Good thread.

1 Like

An early underground train on the Central London Railway, opened in 1900, which eventually became the Central Line. This engine could be driven in both directions

Early underground train

5 Likes

Fantastic. Earliest known photo of @MGOwner

3 Likes

They’re what I grew-up with (and miscellaneous smelly steam-era/diesel-drawn gangwayless antiques). They kind of live on in the class 442 trains, as the traction units from the 432s were refurbished and used to power the newer trains :nerd_face:

1 Like

By making them screech like a banshee eating pure capsaicin by the sound of them.

1 Like

About only thing I can contribute to this thread - some train detail taken at the Glasgow Trasnport Museum

7 Likes

Police trolley - New York: 1950

8 Likes

There was even madder stuff down there before that -

Right-up to 1971 it seems - maintenance trains obviously, but even so! Now steam excursions are a thing again! Perfect for confined spaces!

I guess it worked for passenger services for a while on the early cut-and-cover lines, but presumably all gone by the time the deep lines were being built.

5 Likes

Aha! You reminded me; must post this:

1 Like

The idea of Steam Traction down there seems fucking mental!

People moan about ‘tube dust’ these days, but the District and Metropolitan Lines must have been fucking horrible sooty places! :scream:

1 Like