AA Train thread

May have been when Pete Waterman owned it, apparently he had it painted as a BR loco as that is how he remembered it.

2 Likes

As the indoctrinated son of a railway nutter father, I’ve been waiting for this thread for a long time. :grinning:

2 Likes

Chip in then :+1:

1 Like

Wait. What? Pete Waterman owned the Flying Scotsman?

1 Like

North Norfolk Railway.

A 2-10-0 I believe.

1 Like

Never heard of those before. Fantastic, what a beast :muscle:t2:

2-6-0 Standard Class 4 built in sunny Horwich Lancashire.

There is a 2-10-0 Standard Class 9 which is a real beast.

And one with a fancy Crosti (sort of double) boiler, which is really mean looking. Sadly none of the Crosti one’s survive.

Beer and steam trains :+1: we do this every year and it’s always a good laugh and the beers are always very good.

2 Likes

I went on one donks ago for my 40th. Goathland to Whitby if memory serves. I’ll dig out some pics hopefully.

Those doors are the closest I will get to a GT50.

Yes, he bought it around 93. The Christmas party on there was amusing.

Fuck you actual facts.

2 Likes

Nice live view of a well funded transport system.

https://www.youtube.com/live/QOjmvL3e7Lc?feature=share

1 Like

Did anyone know about the first-and so far only- Double Deck trains in the UK?

https://www.bulleid4dd.org.uk/

Long shot; anyone here remember them?

3 Likes

Better video:

1 Like

I know of them but withdrawn years before I moved to London. Two carriages survive but in very poor condition. One in Northampton and one in Kent, but plans to bring them together at the Kent site.

1 Like

One of these was stored near Ashford Railway Station and was an odd sight for sure! Hope the Preservation Society can get them patched up for display! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I am probably biased as I had grandparents in Grosmont, but the NYMR is still my yardstick for preserved railways.

1 Like

My earliest train memory is the slam door carriages on the Caterham line going up to East Croydon to get a faster train to Victoria.

I’m not sure when this was though as I think they kept them in service well in to the late 90s on that line. I’m guessing though that it was the late 80s

Generic bbc photo from 2005

1 Like

I remember those running the route between Brighton and Southampton. I used to get a train from Bath, carriages had a passageway with cabins completewith bouncy bench seats, change at Fareham onto the 3rd rail service. Happy days.