AAAC: Tuesday Nov 1st - Brian Jonestown Massacre: Third World Pyramid

This was bought for me today. It was only released yesterday so I have little to say about it other than it is a BJM LP. They are a marmite band so it will be interesting to see what, if any, reaction it generates. I am not sure I really know what to think of it myself.

You tube link for any other digital luddites like myself :+1:

1 Like

Listening now, a bit of a hasty choice Olan, not up to your usual quality. It sounds like something good only played at half speed with someoneā€™s dad singing.

Of course it does, it is a BJM LP. To be honest, I havenā€™t listened to it either. I may well end up ripping the piss out of it myself. The other LPs I had on my list were not on Spotify.

FFS :rolling_eyes:

LIsten, I know it is not your favoured post-rock noodling fest, so fucking man up and listen to it for the first time like the rest of us. It only hit the shops yesterday so at least it is new. Look on the bright side Terry, it could have been some mouldy old pile of proggy wank that takes about two days to play and has been rated execrable since 1972 and unlistenable since 1976. Nobody in their right minds would want that would they??

1 Like

Oh, I donā€™t know :thinking:

1 Like

Well, weā€™re never going to get back to Album Club thread salad days with stuff like thisā€¦

Anyway, I liked this. A very sound recipe. A nice, dense, 60s/Velvets sound. Good melodies. And a bit of a spaghetti western twang at times.

Opener (very Nancy Sinatra) wasnā€™t the best and track 4 went on too long, but no complaints about the rest. My highlight would be track 3.

As said, they stuck to a sound recipe rather than doing anything very innovative so it wouldnā€™t score that highly on originality. But a quality effort, nonetheless. I liked it. Very immediate and enjoyable.

1 Like

Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Truly abysmal Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Oh Brother was OK Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dire Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Shit Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull I feel sick Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Nope Nothing Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull

You liked it then?

Iā€™ve heard worse :smirk:

It ainā€™t got the funk or the balls of stone, so Iā€™m pretty keen to hear Rear-Admiral Smallsā€™ views on it. :laughing:

Iā€™ll say one thing for it, the purple vinyl pressing is utter shite. It sounds massively better on TIDAL (irrespective of what you think of the music before any of you cunts start :kissing_heart:). I shall be asking for a new copy tomorrow while I am in town.

Due to my advancing senility I mixed this lot up with the Jim Jones Revue. I was wondering when it was going to get going until I realised I had entirely the wrong artist(e)s.

Ehhh, not really my cup of tea, sorry. Needs moar wailing guitars.

I like BJM early stuff so will have a listen to this when Iā€™m home tomorrow.

Anton Newcombe is an awkward cuss though and can be very hit and miss. Entertaining band live though when theyā€™re on their game.

1 Like

Tedious wank.
Twas like the bastard lovechild of a threesome consisting of Snow Patrol, Keane and the Waterboys where theyā€™re all playing trains and listening to ā€œSergeant Pepperā€™sā€.
Not in an offensive way, or in an interesting way; just in a ā€œthose boys are at it again throw a fuckin bucket of water over them theyā€™re putting me off me dinnerā€ sort of way.

2 Likes

Sā€™OK. Iā€™ve heard far worse from fellow Butchers. Prolly wonā€™t make the playlist though.

Not as good as their ā€œTheir Satanic Majestiesā€ā€¦ "Space Girl ā€¦ etc period. As crimdonk above, I like BJMā€™s more whacky earlier stuff.

Iā€™ve just scored a full house on Leonard Smalls Bullshit Bingo.

3 Likes

I was waiting for a ā€˜Bootsyā€™ on mine. Never came. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

In reply to Tory Boy and Nottage:

2 Likes

Yawn.