Aerial Photography - Droning on & on

Yesterday I managed my first QuickShot pre-programmed manoeuvre whereby you can select an object & fly around it in a circle. It’s possible also to set the altitude & distance above the object precisely but I just went with what seemed ok. The Ice Cream van was a strategic target in the war against obesity.

This lunchtime I took another short flight from home, across the valley to take a closer look at where a new housing development is disfiguring a hill opposite. I was protesting against this development about 11 years ago, sadly to no avail*. I think Maureen’s suggestion of dropping shit on the contractors may be the only answer.

Useful to learn that at the end of this flight, being in the shadow of the hill I was getting quite poor RC connection so engaged auto Return to Home & it quickly came back.

*Such a nimby.

10 Likes

Hours of fun,especially round here.

I’d like one for that house in Westward Ho!

Do they lose signal if in buildings?

3 Likes

He could’ve done with doing it as a circular Quickshot around that house ie like the Ice Cream Van film.

It’s hard not to be too jerky (certainly as a novice) doing that kind of manoeuvre. The Cine mode slows the movements down & softens the effect & I engaged that over the building site but took it off on the flight back as it’d be too slow.

Certainly buildings being in the way will compromise the RC connection. Were you thinking of sitting indoors whilst terrorising the neighbourhood? :grinning:

1 Like

No,would love to do derilict buildings and such.

There was a shut down holiday centre in jersey when I worked there that would have been great

https://youtu.be/I9sVmgkSwbk

I don’t know. If you were inside the building with it it might be better but getting a few walls between you & the drone might prove to be a problem.

1 Like

Can you rig a speaker onto it?
Shouting Cunt down Geoffrey Cox’s chimney would be nice.

3 Likes

Range may be an issue there. Grand Cayman may be just beyond the RC reach.

2 Likes

Do need more smoothness in the filming & some bland, free to use, musical accompaniment.

The ever expanding act of vandalism across the valley from here with music by Om Unit.

5 Likes

Along the Tamar valley at Calstock

Would’ve tried flying under the viaduct but too breezy to risk it!

10 Likes

Fab pics.
Don’t know much about drones, do you need any training, licensing or insurance?

Not for the little sub 250g ones. It’s worth practising in big open spaces to get a feel for the controls and what effect the wind might have. Plenty of videos of people crashing into trees when flying sideways on YouTube. I’m still very much a novice and tend to play it very safe.

Near airfields and military installations the app warns if there are restrictions in place.

1 Like

Do you still need to comply with the line of sight rule (what, ~800m ?) when flying these Guy ?

It’s recommended to keep it in sight although drones like mine are pretty small. If you’re sensible and aren’t trying to fly it amongst high rise buildings or trees at a distance it’s generally ok.

CAA guidelines here.

1 Like

Would like to get one of the cheapo ones one day

1 Like

If I get one there is big space near Crawley that might be good for a beginner, lot of grass and only a few long straight bits of tarmac to avoid!

3 Likes

Excellent footage Guy. You’ve really got the hang of it! Remarkably steady and clear images too. There is however a detectable flavor of ‘white reggae’ in the trancy dub track. I appreciate this is in keeping with the tastes and mores of modern paganism.

2 Likes

Great. Thanks Guy.

Impressive picture quality.

Quite fancy getting one.

1 Like

Ha! You’d better take that up with Mr Spencer

1 Like