All your science in here

“I’m very stubborn …” she said. “I like a challenge and I don’t give up easily.”

Sounds like she’s got what it takes.

I have a soft spot for small, (relatively) cheap but very clever experiments which eliminate huge volumes of theoretical possibility.

1 Like

The oldest plant ever to be regenerated has been grown from 32,000-year-old seeds.

Mind. Blown.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/120221-oldest-seeds-regenerated-plants-science

5 Likes

A Russian team discovered a seed cache of Silene stenophylla, a flowering plant native to Siberia, that had been buried by an Ice Age squirrel

4 Likes

Let’s hope they don’t also unearth a 32KYR plague virus…

Then again . . . Humanity is the greatest danger this planet has ever faced, so p’raps not…

Excellent and fascinating, thanks for sharing Paul.

For those in dark sky areas

3 Likes

Been looking for it for a while - be nice if we could get some actually clear skies, been misty/foggy here which with background light pollution is making it a sod to spot.

Beautifully clear here last night, just a small smudge through x20 binoculars. Sounds like it may brighten over the next couple of weeks, just in time for the Moon to pop up and ensure it remains a smudge!

You never know though, best of luck peering through the fog!

1 Like

Mind was sent into overdrive this morning whilst on way to a little job.

Thing on Radio 4 about 9am discussing superconductors and all the associated fucking weirdness thereof.

They behave like an atom. An actual atom. Insanity.

1 Like

I realise I haven’t really sold it in the description above :slight_smile:

How is your understanding of the Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer theory after listening to that?

1 Like

Ha! Did you listen to it too?

Regularly appeared at Hartlepool Town Hall in the fifties, usually supported by Wilson, Kepple and Betty.

5 Likes

I didn’t realise 3-man tag teams were a thing back then

1 Like

Nah, Graeme mentioned it in the what are you watching thread. Might have a listen on Sounds, quite enjoy it when Bragg can’t disguise his bafflement.

#Freeman Hardy Willis have got your shoes…

1 Like

One guy had a go at explaining it, in a qualitative way (negative electrons moving through a slightly flexible lattice of positive ions, each electron draws some positive charge towards itself and that clump of positive charge attracts other electrons - so two electrons can be drawn to the same place and will appear to have ‘paired up’ as long as everything’s cold enough that thermal vibrations don’t jostle them apart).

I think Bragg’s response consisted of the two words “Oh, God” :confounded:.

3 Likes

Fuller, Smith and Turner for the win

Yeah. That’s kinda what I was alluding to. :slight_smile:

Old people are mutants!

1 Like