The Night Sky

Moon and Jupiter practically holding hands when I looked out earlier :star_struck:

What is the best sky app to use on an android phone?

I think Stellarium is pretty good.

2 Likes

It gets better, it was a wandering planet, changing its orbit over billions of years, without this property, earth would not exist in the orbit we find ourselves in, which happens to be the perfect orbit for complex life. In its current orbit, Jupiter prevents most large objects heading out way, but let’s just enough through to act as agents for evolutionary change. We really are quite rare.

1 Like

Decent chance of a relatively clear night here (18% - ish cloud cover) so I’ll be having a look

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/327567107_892706478846375_8084280310730685207_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=THTtify3Q1wAX_v0VMP&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=00_AfBvGc0zRPYVvaIFYsBknx-_GlSZq9ht91n8NL6P8XLO6Q&oe=63D6C0C1

2 Likes

This followed your video, reminds me of something…

1 Like

Did my nut in that video description.

“Scientists say it’s to do with waves arms vaguely in the direction of SpaceX launch don’t you worry your little heads over it

Right. Care to elaborate? No? OK.

5 Likes

https://www.eso.org/public/images/eso1242a/zoomable/

This is just mind-bogglingly beautiful - an estimated 84 million stars and you can zoom in on it :exploding_head:

6 Likes

That’s bloody awesome. Any idea what the dark banding across the upper third is?

Cosmic Algae Cloud. It will engulf the galaxy in about 2 billion years, leading to the extinction of all carbon based life forms.

2 Likes

Clouds of some sort of dark chemical shit - that’s the official NASA explanation btw.

3 Likes

Was that taken from the James Webb telescope?

ESO is the European Southern Observatory in the Atacama desert.

I think the dark objects are gas clouds in silhouette with the light coming from the Milky Way behind them.

You “think”? I’d want to be more certain in case it’s malevolent aliens. :worried:

OTOH could be swamp gas. Weather balloon. Light from Venus.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I saw one like that when I was out night fishing in my teens. Was coming in at a shallower angle than that and went right across the sky from left to right. It split into three at the furthest part of it’s travel. I was mesmerised and uttered a fuuuuuuuuck! As it exploded, turned to my mates and they were all asleep. Needless to say, none of them believed me when they woke up. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes