Another 10,000 posts of your dinner

Size isn’t everything Bro :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve encountered quite a variety over here, from relatively small ones through to absolutely massive ones. Maybe they just don’t waste the big ones on people they recognise as “Les Anglais” :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I freely admit that those comments stem from my experiences of the moules frites type of French eatery, rather than anything particularly gourmande…

Yeah, the French seem to really like moules frites as a buffet, which then tends to mean you get the cheapest mussels possible. We had them on the Ile d’Oleron last and they were quite extraordinary by comparison, absolute cream of the crop stuff even though it wasn’t a particularly gourmande type place.

2 Likes

Shetland mussels aren’t too shabby - and free, of course

5 Likes

I had the best ones I’ve ever had in Anglesey recently.

1 Like

Our favourite seaside spots; La Rochelle, Honfleur, Le Touquet, Dinard, Montreuil, Valras Plage, and Sète are appalling in the Summer (well, May through September).
But off season, the mussels are epic. Of course, the last 2 are on the Med.

1 Like

Chicken ramen

7 Likes

Looks lovely; could just eat that.

1 Like

9 Likes

Is it a fas…

4 Likes

I have the want

1 Like

More soup faff.

It felt like the right time for leek and potato soup. As it’s Sunday and the alternative is to do some work, I’ve tried to up the process in the pursuit of a bit more oomph. The leeks were sauteed with garlic in butter and white wine as before but this time, I roasted up the potatoes in duck fat and rosemary prior to using them in this. This does mean that this is a vegetable soup that isn’t technically vegetarian but, meh. It tastes nice.

7 Likes

Pesto chicken, stir-fried Chinese cabbage, plus all the usual roasted stuff, and gravy to die for…

7 Likes

Pud

9 Likes

Slow roasted leg of lamb (3 hours) leek and potato gratin, roast parsnips and veggies. Mint from our garden.

9 Likes

Please to have recipes.

Potatoes, leeks, stock, milk, fat. Quantities to suit- as you saw I make a big vat for the week. so I used six large leeks and four large potatoes chopped into roasting size. I use a full kettle of water (roughly 1.5 litres) and a pint of whole milk.

Make a batch of roast potatoes. I parboil and then roast, I know many people do not so just do what you do to make satisfactory crisp edged roasties. I used duck fat this time but beef/goose and veg options also available. Some fresh rosemary under them and a bit of seasoning.

Chop up leaks and fry in white wine and butter to soften them. Some chopped garlic went in too but that’s because I put garlic in everything.

Once leaks have softened and wilted down add stock. My fave is the Knorr herb infusion pots but they seem to come and go. Veg stock also works, as does chicken but- I find the latter tends to dominate.

Add the potatoes and bring to a simmer. Add whole milk, DO NOT allow it to reboil.

Smash it to fuck with a hand blender. There should be some consistency to it but no lumps.

Take poncy photo of it then eat it.

4 Likes

Artistically Arranged Surely :+1:

1 Like

Without blowing smoke up your arse, some of the photos you’ve put in here are seriously impressive on a technical level, even before I consider the food. I have, just about, reached the point where I can take a picture of a bowl of soup that doesn’t blow. This is why my contributions to this are largely soup based (that and I really enjoy making soup).

3 Likes