Any old Pics - replicating google images, one post at a time (Part 1)

She is a Vampire tho…

3 Likes

Nicked from this?

2 Likes

8 Likes

Glasgow 1966 by Steven Berkoff

9 Likes

Jean Pierre Yves-Petit Notre Dame, Paris (c. 1910)

19 Likes

Not sure about passing trade but they really pull the mountain together.

13 Likes

A guy I knew pretty well for a while was a contractor in “the Ghan”.

There was absolutely fuck all to do or spend your money on so as a weird side-effect he became hugely knowledgeable about rugs and ended up buying loads of them and shipping them home.

I imagine if he made it back in one piece his house is some kind of bizarre rug-based shrine.

Hi fi content: when in the US he was a big fan of McIntosh

Fantastic pic

and another

2 Likes

I had a mate with a room that looked a bit like that at Uni. He nearly burned down the hall of residence when another bloke kicked over a bong. Close thing though.

1 Like

:shushing_face:

2 Likes

We were aiming at a lounge room like that, once upon a time. We’d been traveling around Turkey, the Middle East and North Africa, buying up rugs, carpets, kilims and cloth. As we got all the stuff together (we even got some parachute silk for the ceiling), we decided that we wanted a Thai look instead (as we were spending more and more time there).

We failed on both scores. We are NOT interior decorators.

Nope, wasn’t me that time. I was at a gig in Reading and came back to find a horrendous mess outside his room. They basically shoved the rug in the corridor and chucked water on it. The cleaners went mental but as the smoke alarms weren’t triggered it was agreed that it wouldn’t be mentioned.

1 Like

The way it was at my uni.

One of my mates (a historian) was invariably still in bed when his cleaner turned up each day. She would come in anyway, put the radio on, take two fags out of the packet on the dresser, light one for him and put it into his mouth and smoke the other while she hoovered around whatever wreckage was on the floor.

Happy days.

VB

4 Likes

Oxbridge always did things differently, (Students having rooms in the college and their own staff!)

1 Like

The cleaners (called scouts at Oxford, for no very obvious reason) were the college’s staff, not ours. It was customary to leave them a small tip at the end of the term, but that was all. Getting on with your scout did matter though, as they could cover up for any ‘accidental’ property damage which occurred. Having them wake you up and light your ciggies was sufficiently extreme that I remember it more than 40 years later though.

Having rooms in the college had been, pretty much, a major point of the college system since the 12th-13th century. It was, allegedly, the case that police access to the colleges was in the gift of the dean, not least because almost all the colleges had bloody great gates which would be shut through the night. Our dean made it very clear on day 1 that if the police were to request entry he would let them in without a moment’s hesitation. So woe betide anyone who thought they could get away with illegal things on site.

VB

Meh, my bedder was full of disapproval for my layabout lifestyle.

I was going to mention bedders at Cambridge, but I thought that might take the conversation quickly down market.

VB

They’d be impressed how you’ve continued it though…