Any views on a Volvo V50 2.0d?

I am looking maybe on buying a 2006 Volvo V50 2.0d SE as a daily run about for me and the woof, I can’t be arsed with expensive cars.

Any views on whether these are dogs or not?

My understanding is that it’s a bulked up Focus with a Peugeot engine.

Drove a 2010 model for a few weeks. Decent, if uninspiring. It’s a box on wheels with some nice interior styling.
Performance was OK, just. If you don’t want a thoroughbred racer, it’s a good all rounder without doing anything exceptionally.
Less practical than the V70. But good enough.

Wouldn’t be rushing out to buy that vintage. Mondeo estate would be better and a lot roomier.

The ford Mondeo or focus estate are best in class if you add a decent spec.
But a bit meh on the image front.

This is my trouble with the Fords

Shocker. Bob worried about his image.

1 Like

You could always reach for the stars and get an Astra van…

2 Likes

It is going to be full of wet dog (and Bob).

What image?

1 Like

My brother had one and it kept diluting its oil doing failed dpf regenerations. Before we got to the bottom of that it killed itself in spectacular style. I was secretly glad to see the back of it.

1 Like

Mondoes of that era drive very well, Ford know how to make a tight, pointy chassis. I stll mantain that the my 05 zetec mondeo was the best run of the mill company car i had, handled incredibly well, interior was meh though.
Every backstreet garage can repair them.
Get the estate st220 if you can find one.

Quite a lot of them (and earlier years of same model) running into starship miles over here in DK, FWIW

Don’t have a feel for servicing issues, but they’re capable of a decent innings, ‘despite’ the Ford / Pug ancestry

I like the look of them too

I can think of no better way to troll @ICHM than to say he should drive a Mondeo :rofl:

8 Likes

A fellow at work had a 2010, has constant dpf issues.

1 Like

I believe these engines use Eolys fluid to aid combustion which needs refilling every 37000miles or something…

I have driven two of them now and I quite like them actually. Not looking to spend a lot of cash on something my dog will destroy, so as much as I want to drive a new car, it’s not happening.

I need a small estate that feels quality not cheap and nasty and has heated seats, bluetooth, cruse and is about 48+ MPG and one that I fit in.

These Volvo’s are stealth cars, you just don’t notice them and they are really comfortable for me to drive. The V70 is just not great on fuel, as I will be doing about 20,000+ miles a year.

Having driven lots of Mundano’s, they are nice cars, it’s just the interior is made from cheap crisp packets.

1 Like

I agree the dash on the Mondeo is a bag of spanners. Shame really.

Great seats/dash on the Volvo. If you get lucky on the engine you’ll be OK.

The 1.8 petrol engine on the V50 is pretty agricultural but should be solid: do you need the oil burner ?

Yes I like the old oil burners for lugging stuff.

Have you considered a nice RX-8?

3 Likes

Fuck no.

I did try to think about an Audi TT or RS3, but the woof doesn’t fit.

1 Like