Armchair politics

That’s up there with “Put the doctors and the police on minimum wage and watch how fast things change”.

VB

1 Like

Could be argued that the doctors and police are pretty near the minimum wage for their skills, compared to those working in the City.

Once they get established the doctors aren’t doing too badly I think. But among the pros and cons of that job the money might not rank so high. I know I couldn’t do front line policing for any amount of money.

I had a couple of mates who worked in the city. They made a lot of money while they were doing it. One of them ran a team who were second best in London at what they did, which his employers were content with. But they were ranked independently against the competition four times a year and if they were ever to fall below third then he would be fired summarily and would likely never work in the sector again. His major corporate clients were at liberty to phone him at any time between 08:00 and 22:00 typically 6 days a week. He had to give buy/sell guidance there and then and a firm recommendation within 30 minutes, which usually involved him getting in touch with at least one of his team. Getting the judgements right/wrong were the basis on which he was assessed. Essentially the company owned his life. He was out before he was 40 and not in a very happy mental state. He was rich though.

VB

2 Likes

I lost a couple of mates to that sort of pressure. One had an epic breakdown, and disappeared, never to be seen again. His money was still in the bank and car, wife and kids at home. 20 years on we still don’t know what happened to him.
The other threw himself off a bridge into the path of a TGV in France. They never did find all of him.

Moral:

Peace of mind has more worth than money.

7 Likes

Doctors are well paid (not including juniors who are paid okay but the hours and abuse are only worth it to get to fully qualified and prospect of consultant status).

Front line police - fuck that for any money in modern society.

2 Likes

Frank Field’s attention seeking disorder is second only to Boris.

2 Likes

I think you are being grossly unfair to relegate most of the Brexiteer gammon brigade and a fair old bunch of the Labour Party ( Chuka Umunna in particular). Field is a doddery old dinosaur but the end is night for him as his views on the EU are inconsistent with those of his constituents who voted remain IIRC.

2 Likes

His parliamentary constituency, Birkenhead, voted leave, but Wirral as a whole voted remain.

1 Like

There you go, IIRI in that case. Turkeys voting for Christmas really, as there is little chances that places like Birkenhead will benefit from Brexit. OTOH, there has been little effort to do anything for constituencies like Birkenhead by any UK Government for generations so I can understand the frustration.

1 Like

This sums up Brexit,Europe taking the brunt for the UKs Governments failings

4 Likes

£60K was a lot for those 4 blokes to shell out to look at their Sadiq Khan balloon in London today.

It doesn’t seem that many other people showed up. :grinning:

The Trump blimp was one of the shittest, most disappointing letdowns I have ever seen. It tells you everything about the imagination and ingenuity of these morons that they decided to go all in on a Sadiq Khan version.

I’m guessing the anti-Khan protestors are diametrically opposed to the anti-Trump people but both protests were pretty ineffectual. Good if you’re the balloon maker though. Money for old rope.

The (Trump) protest looked decent by all accounts, but the blimp was rubbish.

For a large custom balloon? Someone is taking the piss.

1 Like

Inflation, eh…

19 Likes

Taking the rise.