Attention Coffin Dodging DIY ers (you just cant get proper workmen these days)

My local hire place rents them out up to 12.2m platform height but marks all the ones above 8.5m ‘internal use only’ (as someone who once had to disassemble an 8m one in a strong wind I think I understand why).

Isn’t your situation a bit unusual, in the sense that street level isn’t the same as the foot of your wall because you have a basement (I might be completely mis-remembering that) ? In that case you might be able to justify using a taller tower.

If you have neighbours you could ask them if any of them has a solution to this problem.

VB

Yes, there is half a story below street/ground level. I could get away with a 12m platform and a 6m ladder on top of it.

Oh and all the neighbours have seekily removed theirs and had more modern solutions fitted, mainly because the top 35ft is just to take the pipe above roof level. Sadly English Heritage have been alerted to the pipes disappearing and have insisted ours remains intact.

:flushed: No, far too dangerous.

You’ll need to hire one of these: Can you get around the back?

MEWP

1 Like

I went to a safety ‘away day’ for management at work once. We got an ex-HSE inspector in as a facilitator and I have to say he was very good. During the lunch break the subject of H&S at home came up and he said that back then (early 2000’s ?) about 100 people a year died in DIY accidents. A little over 70 of those were killed falling off access equipment - mostly ladders. Next was stabbing, mostly in the abdomen or neck, with sharp tools, which took about 15 a year. Everything else was pretty much in the noise. Falling off stuff really does kill a surprising number of people.

VB

1 Like

image https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NippyMeatyJaguar-max-1mb.gif

4 Likes

4 Likes

That’s brilliant, at least he’s got a mate holding it :laughing:

Saw an extra tall version of one of those the other week. 103m reach apparently.

1 Like

Fuck it ! Get a tradey in and that way you get to live to paint another day.

4 Likes
1 Like

I’ve seen 24 hours in A&E.

It’s just a long procession of very elderly people, the occasional moronic teenager, and loads and loads of blokes who have fallen off ladders, out of trees, off roofs etc. etc.

1 Like

Bloody hell thats hard to watch never mind do.

I did have the pleasure to see him work being brought up in Oldham although never him felling a chimney by fire sadly.

I went up to the second floor gutter level once. Wore my riding hat and horse riding body protector and still shat it.

Heights are not for me!

As well as knocking chimneys down, Fred smoked like one…I think that’s what did for him in the end…

I think this is the solution.

send a drone up with a spray paint thing.

1 Like

Has anyone tried erecting an 18m tower? It’s at least a 2 man job, and even then you wouldn’t get me up on one at that height.

bamboo scaffolding

5 Likes

Seems I can hire International Rescue for less than a weeks wages so on @Jim’s recommendation (thanks for the voice of sense) I shall be ordering one of these
Just need to organise myself so I can make full use of it for the week it’s here. Although I have rekindled old talents and developed new ones quickly my organisation and project management skills are letting me down badly. I seem to be doing most things arse about face :roll_eyes:

3 Likes