BBQing Diary

I just use it on the outdoor table. It goes in the conservatory when not in use.

1 Like

I recall that Guy Adams (who I was involved with doing the Voyd) got involved in a project to make this although I’ve never seen or used one.

https://www.chadwickoven.com/learn-more

How long does it take to cool down ?

20-30mins.

1 Like

So today’s meat project is can a 7 quid bit of beef be delicious? Last week’s £13.00 bit of rolled hedgehog was right up there with the most tender and tasty things I have done. So emboldened by that, I bought this yesterday:

I’ve removed the packaging and the net around it. I don’t want to pull off the rub later:
I’d prefer to see it a bit more burgundy in colour but there is a bit of marbling there…

I’ve rubbed it in fennel and cumin seeds, muscavado, garlic and mustard powder, sweet smoked paprika, salt and pepper. I’ve only semi crushed the seeds because after a bit of reading and experimentation, I’m liking a gnarly rub because it seems to ‘hold’ the smoke a bit better. Also, you get nice little pulses of flavour when biting into the seeds later. :heart_eyes:

Just waiting on the coals to light:

4 Likes

You can get a decent aged joint from Aldi for a tenner.

I know someone who is a beef grader / buyer and he told me the supermarket with the highest standards for meat is Morrisons, higher than M&S and Waitrose.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Pete. Waitrose is beyond my budget! Not sure where the nearest Morrison’s is, will have a look in a minute.

Highest sustained heat I managed was just over 300c with some big lump charcoal, I doubt you could do it with briquettes though.

Untitled by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

1 Like

Water bath full of cold water. This means that the fire has to heat the water and the joint-which is straight out of the fridge. It is much easier to control the heat this way. I want it to float at around 90° or even below. The slower it cooks the better. I have closed 1 of the bottom vents, the other 2 are half open and so is the one in the lid.

Three chunks of oak for smoke.
Joint placed over a tray to catch the drippings for a gravy later.

Now sit back and listen to music!

I put a massive rolled leg of (very) local pork on with some oak chunks.

200 C it went in. The Weber cooled to 170 after 40 minutes. Slowly reducing down to 130 after 2 hours.

Pork was beautiful. Crackling epic ! Burnt ends are still stuck in my teeth :+1::grinning:

2 Likes

Haha, great! Stupid caveman shit makes for a contented day. :joy:

1 Like

Indeed. Fuck work. Fuck life !

Cooking meat is where it’s at :+1:

1 Like

Cooking some brisket at the moment, just salt and (loads) pepper.

3 hours with a chunk of mesquite in the first hour.

Should be tender enough to shred and mix with some sriracha mayonnaise in brioche buns.

2 Likes

I’ll caveat by declaring that I have been on the foghorns all afternoon though.

Nice one, pics later please! I haven’t summoned the courage for brisket yet.

I can’t remember the exact words but along the lines of eight grades with 8 being the highest. Morrisons will only accept 7 and 8. Waitrose will accept say 25% of 6, Tesco will accept some 5 etc etc.

Guy at work said that Lidl are doing cote de bouef at half the price of Waitrose, this is a phenomenal bit of beef in the bbq.

1 Like

We got our xmas dinner rib joint from Morrisons, it was epic, fantastic marbling right through it and great value too.

Were completely sold out when i went the other day.

The nearest Morrison’s to us in Folkestone, half an hour or so probably. Not too bad, I’ll try it when I have some time. Thanks again for the info. :+1: