BBQing Diary

Yeah, Lidl is difficult getting what you want, when you want it. I really like both Lidl and Aldi for meat.

We are recent converts to shopping at Aldi, just about through the stage of boring everyone with how cheap it is :smiley:

BTW did I tell you about the egg sandwiches - 85p !

1 Like

Fucking luxury ! 30 minute minimum for supermarket shopping around here.
We do have epic butchers and farm shops though :+1:

1 Like

Once the no deal brexit kicks in,you will be able to turn up at the m20 and by fresh off the queuing lorries :articulated_lorry:. Every cloud…

2 Likes

Being a Michelin 3* chef,I have to say it looks slightly light in colour

https://audioabattoir.s3.dualstack.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/original/3X/8/f/8f2b066a7f42b08ff9c46cf65c75a0df81b4d209.jpeg

2 Likes

Meat shamed. :frowning:

3 Likes

Don’t go down with it,we are having fish finger sarnies

1 Like

My mate Dave has one of these which he has modified for ease of use. A curry bowl has had the bottom opened into a square hole so that the bowl now sits in the pellet holder. Use hard wood pellets only. A 1" piece of angle iron sits between the fire and the ceramic base to deflect flames up to the roof and stop any ash getting onto the ceramic. A rechargeable battery powered fan sits behind the firebox to give forced ventilation if needed. Never poke the pellets whilst a pizza is in and using the UUNI SS pizza slider turn a cooking pizza each 30 seconds. One and half minutes is roughly the time to cook the most amazing pizza at between 300/400 C temp. measured on the ceramic base. Flames from the chimney shows that you have a good draw going. Quite labour intensive as the cook must be very watchful so as not to burn things
Already have booked our spot for next Sunday night pizza.
Can also do fantastic steaks if you are a rare/medium rare fan.
These are very very good if you are into pizza. I would have one but I let him do the cooking whilst I watch and drink red. We have been known to have pizza when snowing and when raining very heavily ( I hold the brolly over us) but you have to work to keep the temp up.
Highly recommended.

2 Likes

I love the concept. But since the village pub produces some of the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten, we just don’t make our own anymore.
I find that it’s difficult to justify.

I have bought a jam funnel to instead of a curry bowl, same purpose. The current model has a deflector at the back already. Its great, had a pizza night last night.

2 Likes

More work required I think, was quite dry but not tough or chewy. The bark was bloody lovely though so I think a good smoke and then foil wrapped for the last hour or so with some fat would help.

The brisket I used to have in Texas was just melt in the mouth so have no idea how they managed it.

Could be a slightly different cut, I think the terminology might be the same for two slightly different things

Also the size of the joint must play a part.

If you were eating in a bbq place, their briskets are bloody huge.

As far as I understand it, a whole brisket has 2 muscles running at 45° to each other. One is lean (The flat) and one is fattier (The point). If you smoke a whole one, one part cooks (The flat) before the other and dries out. American USDA beef is corn fed, or corn finished and is all about bulk, it has more fat and a brisket flat is fattier. There are various techniques to smoke grass fed brisket but the faff is serious. I think if you want to smoke it, you are better concentrating just on the point end. Burnt ends are made with the crusty bits right at the pointed end by cutting into cubes and frying them with barbecue sauce until it reduces and goes really sticky. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Often this. The cuts used in Oz are also different.

I’d love to smoke a brisket at Lopwell but I’d be very scared of it being shit!

Do it man.

3 Likes

The whole featherblade I smoked a few months ago was very close to proper brisket, texture and flavour. I’d like another crack at one soon. If you cook it low and slow enough, the connective tissue running through it just melts. :heart_eyes:
Jacobs Ladder also gets very close to brisket and also ox cheek I have heard.

It might be prudent to cook a pork shoulder along side it, so we actually have something to eat! :rofl:

Meh, live dangerously! It’s not like we’ll be short of food, I suspect. :joy:

1 Like