3 Likes

You’ll need to invite me round to prove it :grin:

1 Like

We’ll have to sort summat out :grinning:

Not today obs as the chicken is all gone :smirk:

2 Likes

If you want to be lazy this rub is also very good on a spatchcock

Just bought one of these…

2 probes (one for meat. one for kettle). Bluetooth to APP and temperature/timer alarms.
What more could you want ?

1 Like

Looks great, I want to get one soon!

I have an Inkbird temperature controller in the brewery. It’s pretty well made. So I consider the thermometer will be of similar quality :crossed_fingers:

Ok, so learnt an enormous amount smoking the pork butt on Fri/Sat. First, I think the yo-yo-ing temp early on in the cook, was due to having the air vent too open very early on (I used the minion method with the Briquettes, basically a pile of unlit coals and then several lit ones placed on top. I did this because with the circular water tray we had, there wasn’t room around it to lay a snake) which meant that it went immediately too hot because the unlit coals caught too early. I got the temp about right by 5:30 am but actually I think I was just looking through a window as it was descending, I checked it again at 8:30am and it was at 76°C (115°C is the ideal I think ). I opened the vent a tiny fraction and went back to bed for an hour, got up, checked it and it was about 200°C! I gave up on the idea of sleep and faffed until I had it nicely floating around 115.

The thermometer in the lid doesn’t accurately measure the temp around the meat because it is a few inches above (heat rises, thanks @browellm :roll_eyes:).
At about 1pm the meat had reached about 68°C internally (target 89-94°) but then stopped climbing, I was scratching my head a bit… By about 3:30pm @edd9000 appeared and said “it’s stalled, wrap it”, And a light bulb when on! I had read about this phenomenon but with a hangover and only a couple of hours sleep, had forgotten about it. I wrapped the meat in 2 layers of foil, opened the air vents a bit and over the next hour or so, the internal temp got to 85°. I chucked it in a hot oven for ten mins to finish it.

Flavour wise, It is another level to cooking it in the oven. I had put 3 chunks of mesquite on, which gave it a nice smokey flavour and I rather liked the bark it had on the outside. It smelled amazing! However, when I pulled it I noticed that some of the meat was less flaky than other bits and wondered if this was to do with distribution of fat in that particular piece of meat, or whether the fluctuations in temp early on had caused it. I have done it in the oven before - Lopwell '17 f’rinstance- where the whole shoulder had the same texture. More to learn here…

Next time I will try a snake, I think it will be easier to control.
The Weber briquettes are amazing, they were still going after 15 hours.
I really liked @A_Touch_of_Cloth 's Weber, a proper step up from mine. Deep want! I hope it didn’t stink too much getting it back on Sunday!

Talking about next time… On the way home, Jim said to me that he wasn’t using his Smokey Mountain and asked if I was interested in buying it. It is now casting a looooong shadow in the back yard, Its absolutely huge! More nuclear warhead than bullet. I may give it a crack at the weekend…

11 Likes

I towed it home so it was ok smell wise. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nowt compared to the bucket

1 Like

Could you elaborate?

4 Likes

Morrocan inspired lamb shoulder, smoked for 6 hours with cherry wood, plus some other middle eastern type stuff.

13 Likes

Cooked in the Smokey Mountain?

Have never tried cherry wood, how did it taste?

Yes, first time I’ve used it. I had some shite briquettes to use up and did manage to keep the temp level for several hours but they won’t do what the Weber ones do. I.e burn forever. I got the cherry wood from my tree surgeon neighbour…

The Lamb was outstanding, I have to say. I don’t think it’s possible to get that level of flavour in a conventional oven.

2 Likes

Had the major bollock ache yesterday as I went to my local garden centre to get some more weber long burn briquettes and the BBQ stuff is now in storage and they are putting out the christmas tat.

Cunts.

1 Like

Hard to describe! Light and sweet? I did it with cherry as stuff on the interwebs said so. Most advice seemed to be for apple or cherry rather than mesquite or oak, which is what I have. My neighbour has shit loads of apple too, he just couldnt find any. Yes, he has THAT much wood.