BBQing Diary

Looks very good.

I really like Memphis BBQ too.

Kansas BBQ I found a bit meh (probably chose the wrong place) - it was too slick and the new owners had focused on the image rather than the food.

As a general rule the scruffier the place looks the better the BBQ. Let the food do the talking!

1 Like

I went to the BBQ world Championship Cook Off in Houston Texas once and had a great time.

4 Likes

We must send an Abattoir team!

1 Like

Will be putting this on the to-do list.

2 Likes

I just dun a sex wee

1 Like

I’m spent :astonished:

1 Like

:grinning:

Lamb leg today. Plan is 80° for five hours or so, maybe less, or more; not experienced enough to tell! Finished temp 60° coz kids no like rare. Will roll it around over hot coals for Maillard purposes at the end. Smoke is cherry.

2 Likes

Lamb leg as well. 1.5 hours, then reassess. Beech smoke today.

Wet rub of N’duja, lemon, garlic and sel du vin…

Please note the use of table as a subtle wind break :+1:

3 Likes

Oh, get you ducky…:wink:

Why is there such a huge difference between wind break and break wind? :laughing:

4 Likes

Do the neighbours think you are mental? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Fuckin’ brahnin’ init :+1:

1 Like

Oh I hope so, with any luck it’ll reinforce the idea that they should keep the fuck away from me.

2 Likes

Took somewhat less than five hours!

7 Likes

Will be round in 10 :+1:

1 Like

That looks fucking lush. :stuck_out_tongue:

What did you rub it with?

I stuck to 1.5 hours with 1 hour rest…

Carved up a treat. Moist, pink and tasty. Beech smoke was a good partner…

N’duja was too strong in parts (but it was leftover from Arancini the other day). Next time will be simpler; garlic, anchovies, rosemary and lemon.

7 Likes

A mixture of mustard powder, fresh thyme, garlic, sugar, star anise, fresh rosemary, lemon zest, salt, pepper.

Mega. The rub and smoke added a really lovely but subtle flavour. Thanks to @MGOwner for the influence.

Meat was from The Ginger Pig, I couldn’t face local… :smirk: I doubt his would be worse but Ginger Pig was eye wateringly expensive. I have been weighing up actual cost against the cost of time spent with a cunt.

3 Likes

Local butcher for ours. Locally sourced (4 miles from the shop) - 2.03 kg @ £27 is great value.

1 Like

There’s one in Wanstead High St now - it replaced the trad family butcher that had been there for many years.

The meat is high quality, but as you say, very expensive.