BBQing Diary

Looks fab Terry. :ok_hand:

Thanks Ritchie it was. Put a drip tray with water in it under the food too. Steam is good and it’s less flarey.

1 Like

Ok, so I need to get the hang of it but food very tasty and plenty of heat left even now if I wanted to carry on cooking. We ate an hour ago! Some things were marginally over done but I can obviously correct that in the future. I had some oak chippings and got a very nice smokey flavour to the chicken. I can feel a bbq obsession coming on…

8 Likes

Haha, looking forward to that.

Fish looks great.

I’m finding I am VERY drawn to the snake method. I think I shall try it next weekend with pig. :+1:

1 Like

I hope to be doing the same thing. Our Bbq is a bit too small, but will give it a go regardless.

It is easy to enter a veeeery deep rabbit hole :+1:

1 Like

I find large prawns on the barbie really good. My method is to sit several cloves of crushed garlic in a frying pan with loads of butter and olive oil on a very low heat. Once the garlic starts to colour, I turn off the heat, let it cool a little and then pour it over the prawns. I leave them an hour and then wack them on the barbie with a sprinkle of sea salt. I pour the garlic infused butter over them periodically, and sometimes I add lime, or lemon juice and flat leaf parsley. I find if you cook them well, you can eat the whole lot, skins and all.

Has anyone else got any other prawn ideas?

2 Likes

That sounds awesome Ritchie, gonna try that when I get a chance.

whack, FFS !

1 Like

I usually peel the king prawns and chuck them in a plastic bag with chopped chillies, olive oil and soy sauce. Leave for a couple of hours then stick five or so on a bamboo skewer and bbq. Sometimes I baste them with the remaining ‘juice’ Delicious.

1 Like

Ooh, that sounds good!

Sometimes I use toasted sesame oil in lieu of olive

Mesquite is very good for chicken and especially pork ribs.

If you try the snake method I prefer to use wood chunks rather than chips as it produces a much better smoky bark.

IMG_20170423_195636 by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

Untitled by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

5 Likes

This is the kind of pig I was thinking! How long do you cook them for Chris?

We lattice king prawns with squid (squid ring surrounds the prawn on the skewer) . Marinade in lemon, chilli and sesame oil.
Then direct heat over coals not briquettes.

Finish with lime juice.

1 Like

Why coals Terry?

Briquettes get too hot and don’t add anything to the cooking. You might as well use gas :grin:

Coals are easily adjusted and you get an even burn. And. Smoke.

Coals burn too quick tho’, no?

But it’s a controllable burn.

1 Like