Board Games

Does it involve balancing stuff on the toe?

Can you recommend any that might be suitable for younger (like 7yrs old) players? Iā€™m just getting my boys into board games now but it sounds like co-op games could be the way forward for now.

What a great thread. My boys (7 & 4) are just old enough to start playing games now - which has come as a welcome relief this holiday, as I can now enjoying sitting and playing something over an afternoon rather than running around meaninglessly.

I got them Monopoly Junior (which is probably a bit too young for the 7 year old), Articulate Junior (an old favourite of mine) and Uno.

Itā€™ll be good when we can move onto something a bit more sophisticated though. Iā€™m interested to see @TMC say that Catan was just about playable with his 6 yr old - Iā€™ve actually not played it though have wanted to for a while, but have been holding off getting it until the kids are old enough. Maybe I can start now with my eldest? Or perhaps Carcassonne/Panedemic/Ticket to Ride are safer places to start.

BTW hereā€™s a (moderately) amusing board game review channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyRhIGDUKdIOw07Pd8pHxCw/videos

Iā€™m intrigued by games like Brass: Birmingham - though donā€™t know if Iā€™d ever have the time to master them properly.

Qwirkle is great with younger kids.

4 Likes

Has anyone played The Castles of Burgundy by the way? It looks like it might be fun but also quite over-complicated.

Terra Mystica is another one Iā€™ve just come across that looks quite interesting, and similar-ish to Carcasonne (perhaps).

I used to like risk

2 Likes

Can highly recommend this:

We played scenario 15 yesterday and it was too difficult for my 10-year old and probably for 1 or 2 of the adults. We played scenario 1 today which is much easier, particularly when you know the game, and everyone loved it. Feck alone knows how hard scenario 75 isā€¦

We played a bit of this over Christmas, Carcassonne

3 Likes

Some interesting music related games reviewed hereā€¦

1 Like

Our favourite is race around London (we call it mr x) itā€™s a great game and not well known, need a few players to make it funk though. Proper name is Scotland Yard I think

I had that for Christmas. Not played it yet :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This yearā€™s annual addition to the game collection includes -

Wavelength - team based guessing game, good for parties

Unstable Unicorns - card game based on being a little mean to other players (like Exploding Kittens) - also good for parties

Secret Hitler - team game based on flushing out Hitler in two teams made up of fascists and liberals - perfect to play with my Brexit voting reactionary fuckwit inlaws :smile:

Also under consideration are -

• Calico - cutesy pattern tile game buidling bedspreads to attract cats
  • Tsuro - tile based path making game
  • Photosynthesis - tree planting eco themed strategy game

Secret Hitler for me

Tsuro is a cracker for all ages

1 Like

I had Exploding kittens last Christmas and still havenā€™t played it. Will give it a go this Christmas.

This arrived in the post this week. Not played it yet. Have heard it is improved once alcohol has been consumed.

1 Like

Strip chess here

Got this for Crimbo, great fun and very competitive.

what is it?

Klask. Like a magnetic version of air hockey. Works really well and because of the set up you canā€™t just whack the ball around, thereā€™s a bit more to it than that.

Would still love a full size air hockey table though!

2 Likes