Board Games

we have been playing a lot of tsuro the last few days , my nine year old is obsessed

It is on my list for next year.

I’m going to get the sea version for next year

Ordered for this year

1 Like

Not exactly a board game … but

On the list this year include -

Brass Birmingham (Hel is from the Black Country and we fight over the rivalry so this will kick it off)

Desperately want this though as Hel oved the original as a little girl and will lose her shit when she realises that a new one is about to be released -

2 Likes

couldnt think of where to post this - maybe this is a better place.

This 1981 Dark Tower?

I had that, and remember playing it a LOT when I was 13/14 or so.

No idea what happened to it…

1 Like

Yep that one, she has a near complete set in the loft.

seen the prices on eBay :scream:

mind you, the new one isn’t inexpensive either

over $4M dollars pledge on Kickstarter, wow

Looks good though. My pre-order is in for the expanded version.

Are family board games dead? Or is anyone still playing them ? I came across this game

It was a very enjoyable game well worth a few hours entertainment.
With more and more reaching out to play online games what physical medium is still played in your family

2 Likes

Not generally a board gamer myself but I believe there’s quite an active culture around “tabletop” gaming that has come out of a combination of the D’n’D scene and more famous PC/online gaming conversions being released as physical media. Everything comes full circle.

Yeah, there’s a lot of board games now that take the involvement up a notch or two from more traditional fare like Scrabble or Monopoly. And not all of it requires 6 months of weekly gaming sessions to complete a game either. A few that might be of interest:

Carcasonne
Catan
Pandemic (you play as a team against the game, which is nice)
Azul
Munchkin

I also have a huge soft spot for the Arkham Horror games, but they can be a bit much for more casual players, often needing 15mins to set up and then running for 3-4 hours.

Backgammon and Carcasonne are favourites chez Waxy.

Azul
Qwirkle
Love Letter
Take 6

are all clever & fun

1 Like

We had a lengthy game of Cluedo at my sister’s house in Dublin last month. The amount of cheating going on was risible. Really enjoyed the game though, first time I had played a board game in several years.

Sushi go is a great / quick / easy game. Well worth getting / trying.

1 Like

Don’t know why, but every so often I have the desire to repurchase all the vintage Advanced D&D “stuff” I got rid of 30 years ago.
No plans to play again or any other use, just nostalgia reasons.

1 Like