Brexit - Creating a Cuntocracy - Now with 4d chess option

I can see her cutting a deal with the ERG, selling no deal as a managed deal and uniting the Tory party behind her.

Collaborating with opposition MPs to screw over half of her MPs is the least Tory thing any Tory would do.
Failing that, brexit just gets kicked down the road, it’s an old trick, but it usually works.

Can’t see her remainers going for that. There aren’t enough nutters in the HoC for anything other than an accidental hard Brexit. The remainers should stand in to rule out a No Deal following the Plan B debate.

How would that work? You can only ask in our out as there are at least a dozen ways to leave. If you started listing leave options you would have to list remain options. A second referendum resolves bugger all unless remain wins an in out vote.

I am an advocate of a second referendum, but I agree with you that we need more clarity on what we’re actually voting for. The clearly defined positions are remain, hard leave and May’s deal. The latter is only a withdrawal agreement, not a final position. Other positions are also possible, but they need to be clearly expressed before they can be voted on.

The main failing of May throughout has been the inability to express her desired future relationship with Europe.

And there was I thinking that it was being a pig headed xenophobe in setting her red lines.

2 Likes

Depends how big the risk is of a permanent Tory party split. Would the ERG take the grass roots party with them? Likely.

The days will see her plan B on the table, day 4 will be when the fun starts.

A single transferable vote system would work, but you do need clearly defined options, rather than differently flavoured unicorns.

Have you seen the mental capacity of your average voter recently :grinning:

Am waiting for the dentist’s chair, my in out decision will be more painful than brexit.

The root of the problem in parliament is that Brexit is not a party-political issue. All the parliamentary structures (the ‘government’ versus the ‘opposition’, party whipping etc) which normally allow business to be managed are, in the case of Brexit, actually obstacles to putting a majority grouping together.

John McDonnell complained this morning that while May had said she wanted to talk to politicians in other parties she hadn’t approached the Labour leadership, as if this would be the most constructive thing to do. Has he missed the point completely ? The position of the Labour leadership so far has been 100% to play this for party advantage - to try to bring down the government. Getting a resolution to Brexit might actually involve releasing his MPs from party control and letting those who share a common view with one of the Tory factions join with them. The Tories didn’t ‘allow’ their party to fragment either, of course. On this issue it happened naturally.

VB

3 Likes

I genuinely don’t believe what people voted for two years ago is what they are going to get in any Brexit scenario. Educating / disseminating this information would be near on impossible due to the bias of all modes of transmission. I do however feel a clear in or out based on what can be put forward as truth is democratic.

Exactly. It needs politicians to think.

We’re all doomed.

1 Like

ie step outside their party dogma :grimacing:

1 Like

Any bi partisan approach will see brexit in name only, can’t imagine for a second that the government will support that.

This

I don’t see either Labour nor The Conservatives making it to the end of the year in their current form. I agree with Graeme, this is the schism that defines the present and the forseeable future and neither party (nor any potential Party leader on either side) is in any shape to do much about it.

I’ve always assumed this would end in an Ref2 and / or an A50 revocation, but as said above, it’s terribly hard to put May’s deal on the ballot when it hasn’t a snowball in hells chance in the Commons.

A Ref2 must also have concrete options to be chosen between, otherwise what the fuck have the last 2 years been about ?

Frankly, looking at todays wasteland I’m fucked if I know whats gonna happen

Most leavers I have spoken to feel betrayed by May. The Tories granted the referendum and promised to stand by the result. They then appointed a remainer to lead (Betrayal #1). They then failed to support their leader (Betrayal#2). They have set a date to leave, if we don’t leave on that date that will be betrayal #3.
If we get to a point where we have another referendum or Brexit is cancelled that will be the ultimate betrayal. A betrayal of democracy, and they will never vote again.

1 Like

Oh dear
How sad
Never mind

8 Likes

We can but hope.

3 Likes

Ref2 would need to be legally binding on ANY future Government.

1 Like

That would require a far more precise question to be asked in the referendum, a lesson I’m not sure HMG have learned yet.