Brexit episode 2 - the attack of the gammon

A bit more than expected?

I was expecting a few bits would need doing so not much of a surprise.

Talk of a GE in May

It’s a fucking waste of time, like choosing between gonorrhoea and syphilis. On by far and away the most significant thing to the exclusion of all else, the two main parties are the same. They both want the moon on a stick and aren’t going to get it.

2 Likes

The clap over the pox every time. As long as it’s not that new ‘resistant to everything’ one.

VB

1 Like

May to make a statement tonight at 8:30 according to Guardian and others. Suggestion is that she is snookered by Tusk’s statement saying the letter arrived too late and they’ll only get an extension if parliament passes the WA. Is this the resignation or the GE or both?

:crossed_fingers:

I am 100% certain she’ll try to brazen it out. “My deal or no deal.”

Would be great if she said I’m revoking art 50, now I resign

5 Likes

My concern is that a General Election doesn’t solve anything. The parties are split, and will remain so. A GE will return a government, not a mandate for a specific policy.

1 Like

FT suggesting same with vote early next week…

Tusk said the EU will only agree to delay Brexit if the UK Parliament approves the current withdrawal agreement next week.

Sounds to me that his threat could well get May’s deal over the line. The only alternatives (that I can see) being no deal or revoke article 50. They’re not going to revoke A 50 (Barclay telling the house that no deal is ‘less damaging’ to UK than no Brexit this afternoon) so it’s that old chestnut again - my deal or no deal - except this time it has a certain ring of truth about it.

Or am I missing something here?

So it’s Tusk who kills any opportunity for a second referendum or remain. I has the sad.

Looks like revoking article 50 is fav to me.

It’s not Tusk’s (nor the EU’s) responsibility to enable it. An MV3 with Kyle Wilson amendment attached could still be put forward anyhow.

Grieve’s contribution just now was a savage demolition of how this government has behaved.

2 Likes

I disagree, it’s Parliament that killed any opportunity for 2nd ref. They’ve had plenty of opportunities.

Absolutely feel your pain! It’s fucking nuts isn’t it?!! There is no confusion, no stalemate, at all. She just has total cognitive dissonance re acceptance that her approach has been totally rejected, and a new approach is required. The moment she accepts that, everything can start progressing again. That someone can be so utterly devoid of insight, and somehow have ended up at the controls of a country, is just beyond belief.

1 Like

It’s not unusual

2 Likes

Yeah thought that as I typed it. It’s the End Times, surely…