Brexit episode 2 - the attack of the gammon

I think the parties will have to produce a manifesto. Any candidate (e.g. ERG member) who won’t sign up to the Conservative manifesto is declaring him/herself not to be a Conservative any more. Then we’ll see whether they’ve been posturing all along, and will quietly get in line, or whether they really meant it in which case UKIP is waiting with open arms. Labour will have to see whether they can find a policy which Tusk et al won’t say is not available (don’t hope for the SM without FoM Jeremy). It would be cards-on-the-table time.

VB

That is not strictly correct Paul. Tusk said:

In the light of the consultations that I have conducted over the past days, I believe that a short extension would be possible.

But it would be conditional on a positive vote on the withdrawal agreement in the House of Commons.

The question remains open as to the duration of such an extension.

At this time, I do not foresee an extraordinary European council.

If the leaders approve my recommendations and there is a positive vote in the House of Commons next week, we can finalise and formalise the decision on extension in the written procedure.

However, if there is such a need, I will not hesitate to invite the members of the European council for a meeting to Brussels next week.

Although Brexit fatigue is increasingly visible and justified, we cannot give up seeking until the very last moment a positive solution - of course, without opening up the withdrawal agreement.

There is much discussion of this statement. I think he is saying unless the deal is passed no short extension. Otherwise it is a long extension and bye-bye Mrs May. There’ll be open war over than statement as it is deliberately worded to provoke a confrontation in the HoC. It also sticks the blame for ‘No Deal’ firmly at Mrs May’s feet.

He said nothing about a long extension at all as far as I can see neither ruling it in nor out.

I’m sure the eu will be more than happy to extend for a 2nd ref

I’ll blame the BBC then, I cut that from their website :grin:

2 Likes

Right now, I don’t think so. They think we are idiots with good reason, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted shot of us for good.

Yep. France, Spain and Italy are threatening to veto the extension. Somebody needs to amend May’s MV3 to compel the Govt to revoke A50 if MV3 falls on its arse or we’re Gammon Island on Friday.

4 Likes

Haha!.. sob

1 Like

I think this might finally force DG to jump ship. It would be devastating for the party if he leaves. He was apoplectic this afternoon.

1 Like

I think you could be right. To say “I have never felt more ashamed to be part of the Conservative Party” is strong stuff.

25 working days required between Parliament being dissolved and a GE. Local Elections are 2nd May so taking into account Easter Parliament would have to be dissolved Monday I believe if GE was to be on the 2nd or by the around the middle of April if by the 30th May. Would need to take into account the one or both May bank holiday in the calculation in that case.

The ‘sensible plan’ is to;

1. Revoke article 50.
  2. Sort out a ‘leave’ agreement with the EU that is acceptable to both parties.
  3. Envoke it again.

The mamoth mistake was to invoke article 50 before negotiations.

3 Likes

Worse than that, to even know what you want yourself. We spent 18 months with the unedifying sight of David Davies being unable to differentiate his arse from his elbow.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I can’t see May doing that, I think she will be working to drag things this to crash out on the 29th.

1 Like

Looks like May’s Downing Street statement is going to happen - 8:15pm

Blah blah blah my deal is the best either vote for it or damage the country with no deal blah blah blah we will be taking back control with my deal of our borders money blah blah blah

6 Likes

It’s in the national interest don’t you know?

The EU said they wouldn’t negotiate without A50 being invoked. They didn’t say that we weren’t allowed to get a clue first.

1 Like

Yes, but that was part of the whole negotiation strategy of the EU and we stupidly played right into their hand. Shows how moronic May is.