Brexit episode 2 - the attack of the gammon

R4 Today had a piece on airport staff shortages, interviewing some unlucky fucker whose holiday turned to dogshit and some chap from the GMB.

I appreciate the problem is complex, but it’s rather odd (not really) how little we hear of the issue being B-related - dealing with Make-Sure-Johny-Foreigner-is-made-to-feel-unwelcome queues, and a vastly reduced labour pool from which to re-recruit. You’d think they might be relevant issues, but apparently not.

Is that real? Its hard to tell these days.

I’m waiting for ‘being able to buy Chlorinated chicken or massively over-dosed with antibiotics food from our US chums’ and ‘removing all employee protections like our US chums’ oh, and mustn’t forget ‘not telling anyone about our private tax affairs’

I guess the holidaymaker knows no more than you or me about the underlying cause of his woe (the final nail was his plane’s pilot not showing up, which might be an area less impacted by Brexit than most).

The union guy spent every second he had explaining that the ground staff problem has been caused by the long-running degradation of his members’ Ts & Cs, which would have to be reversed if they now wanted to recruit. His media people have him well-trained. Between not wanting to re-instate a large pool of cheap labour and not wanting to come across as a whingeing remoaner he was probably right not to raise the Brexit issue.

Simon Calder (travel correspondent) has been pretty clear where the problem is re staff shortages.

1 Like

More of these travel companies need to stop messing about & adopt P&O’s government approved employment practices. To hell with ‘woke’ health & safety concerns.

Ha ha - I don’t blame the holidaymaker, nor the Comrade, but I’d have thought (no, I wouldn’t really) that R4 might have offered a more holistic analysis of the situation

They, like most accessible media, have learnt that it’s not worth the threats and complaints from angry gammon if they ever mention Brexit in a negative light.

Then stop writing to them every time they mention it :grinning:

1 Like

Today has never been great at analysis to be honest. Their news item slots are too short. Even the biggie at 08:10 never seems to get properly deep into anything. It’s long enough to reveal that cabinet ministers just spout whatever they’ve been told to, even if the interviewer proves it absolutely wrong live on air, or that they’re too dim to remember the ‘right’ answer (or even remember the question sometimes). You get to hear individuals’ points of view, mostly, and to have those challenged briefly, but that’s all. For analysis you need at least half an hour (an hour is better) on air and several weeks of prep time. Some of R4’s other programmes are better at it.

1 Like

Right on cue

Or…

1 Like

8 Likes

Beautiful, just beautiful…

11 Likes

Leaflets have been put through doors as part of a recruitment drive.
Jobs in security, catering and cleaning still need to be filled.

Ah would that be jobs normally filled by migrant workers then

1 Like

Perhaps they can add this group to the exemptions….

More Brexity benefits :roll_eyes:

So This is what “World-beating” looks like:

Allegedly from the Faily Fail.

I now realise that “World-beating” refers to self-harm…

4 Likes

The New World Order; it’s inevitable.

Hahaha Express now using imperial for temp, all hail brexit and crowns on pints blah blah blah…

(yes Graham :wink: I know F isn’t strictly imperial in the UK but it was used in the weights and measures act to define the pound or gallon etc)

1 Like

Freedomheit.

3 Likes

C’s no better, TBH. Arbitrary zero.

Go Kelvin, or go home :grin:.

I grew up with F and to be honest if I hear a temp on the weather report (always C) I still have to think about it for a second or two before I can work out how hot/cold that’s going to be.

4 Likes

Surely the Express should be priced at 18/-

5 Likes