Cheese making

Making cheese.

Witchcraft.

7 Likes

Friend of mine does it. Makes a really good cheddar but that takes a long time to mature whereas blue cheeses are relatively quick. He soon realised he could steal the culture for the blue cheese from an already made good quality Stilton.

2 Likes

It’s something we’ve never tried before, fascinating how it works.

3 Likes

keep us posted rob

1 Like

paneer? or something else?

We regularly make paneer - a tofu press can be handy

1 Like

Yes, it’s paneer :+1:.

I can just about remember my nan making butter on the farm, but not cheese.

1 Like

Had a great paneer curry the other week :+1:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xLUEMj6cwA

6 Likes

Lowering the pH gradually and pressing it when still warm are key to soft paneer that doesn’t crumble/ fall apart

1 Like

That’s posh for cottage cheese, non?

no - cottage cheese isn’t pressed

I recall going around a Camembert factory in France some years ago - essentially, it was just adding a bit of a culture to warm milk and leaving it to thicken. And then when thick enough (about the same as double cream and about 2 or 3 days after the culture had been added) transferring to boxes to finish off. The theory is easy enough and I reckon using the mould from a decent cheese would probably get a good start. Not that I am going to, mind.

It’s currently in the squeezing room…

Minor point, so, of I press some cottage cheese…

1 Like

eh?

Yes. The same process. Though cottage cheese is salted paneer isn’t.

If

I made halloumi last week, using a kit that I was given last fathers day. It was nice but considerably more faff than paneer. It used (vege) rennet so involved maintaining 32 oC during 45 mins of curdling etc… Not sure I would bother again.

The kids now complain when we use bought paneer rather than home-made. The positive side of that is that they are genuinely excited when I make paneer. Sounds like the paneer version of “even my wife noticed a difference” :stuck_out_tongue: However my paneer making is now slick as fuck.

Non-homogenized milk and diluted vinegar added slowly :+1:

5 Likes