Company car or allowance?

Hahaha I want an Yamaha Fizzie again. Get my Sergio Tachini tracksuit and Diadora Bjorn Borgs out of the loft.

1 Like

Yep. It also works out a lot cheaper for the Company than renting mine off me. This pays back in one of our incentives (EBIT based bonus), albeit in a very small way…

Would look a bit like this.

https://www.thebetterindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/bike3.jpg

4 Likes

I have usually bought new, via a PCP. There are sometimes ridiculous leasing deals out there that reflect the massive discounts that are available off RRP. Jokes aside, a lot of the big Volvos currently fall into this bracket, but BMW, Merc and the others also do this regularly.

A good site to check some rates on is https://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/, I bought my last one on there. I also bought the 5 year service pack and obvs had a new car warranty so have had no costs other than tyres and brakes during that time.

EDIT: fixed da link.

1 Like

ooh nice option to consider. Cheers.

PCP, is the one where there’s a baloon payment, and assuming you are not over mileage you can chip it in as a deposite on a new model? AMIRIGHT?

1 Like

Yes PCP is more flexible than personal leasing because you have the option to pay the balloon and own, but also just hand the car back if you have had enough.

In fact one little known legal element of a PCP is you can hand back half way through an agreement with zero penalty, as long as the agreed mileage hasn’t been exceeded. Weird but good.

You can also do them on low deposits, e.g. one month.

2 Likes

Nice one. Will do some more maths now. Thanks mate.

Make sure they are MAN MATHS, then that 7-series will be yours. :grinning:

3 Likes

HAhahhahaaha

I think the other site you linked to is a vacant URL @browellm .

1 Like

yes, took a google to find the actual site

When I was looking at company cars the simple maths I did was to look at the total cost to you as a proportion of the cost you can buy it for. Could include servicing costs in the denominator if you wanted.

It always came up with BMW diesels or Prius-type hybrids as the cheapest, due to the BIK and residuals.

It’s still cheaper to buy used, you could get a 4 year old vehicle and shove on a vanity plate if you’re precious, or just stop being so fucking shallow, but ultimately the decision on a car is purely financial for pretty much nobody.

Further Sam-C-car related: acquired a stone chip a few months back which turned into a split in the properly cold weather - the replacement screen was >£1000

Modern cars with the sensor pod on the screen = scary, scary glass costs.

Just a thought…

2 Likes

This is the sweet spot, nearly £200.00 a month better off that way. But I keep reminding myself I am monumentally shite with my money. I’d spunk that £200 and be in the shit as soon as the car went pop.

Standing-order + savings account in your Mrs name so you can’t wank it away on golf bats?

2 Likes

Yes, Piggy Banking is the oh so twee term they use on the money saving sites. Think this may be a good option.

1 Like

This doesn’t really happen though. Cars work. My car is 13 years old, and still just works; it’s had some work on the brakes and a new exhaust back box, apart from that it’s tyres and fuel. I’d say it’s cost on average under £500 per year for everything except fuel, and that includes the service by the local Mazda dealer.

You do no mileage though Adam. Doing 15k miles per annum means that even consumables like tyres and brakes need budgeting because as one-off hits they are £3-500 that isn’t in the bank account all of a sudden.

I do 10-11k, but yeah, I take your point - 20k of mostly motorway will probably take more toll.

20t0w

6 Likes