Computer games and that

It was my first computer at 14 so Christmas 1991/2 maybe. My parents bought it from a kid up the road and it had about 200 games, disk drive, light gun, light pen etc

5 Likes

Yep, my first computer, too. Awesome thing for it’s day.

4 Likes

My first computer was a BBC micro. Expensive, but class-leading back in the day. I played Elite right through.

3 Likes

I’d have given my left bollock for a BBC Micro at the time.
And the right bollock too. :hushed:

My dad paid for it - he got really into it and we ended up with 2 floppy disk drives and a colour monitor!

1 Like

Mines too. think I must have got mines around 1987 for Christmas. I remember playing this to death.

2 Likes

That sounds a great set up. :slightly_smiling_face:

I had the paupers version VIC20. Remember getting the 16K expansion pack for it. Great days.

Had a mate with an Oric-1. Too cool for school.

2 Likes

One Christmas I got a Spectrum 48k with Manic Miner, Jet Pac and some Horace games like skiing etc.

Mate had a C64 which I was green with envy over as it was a fantastic machine and handled sprites so much better than the Sinclair.

3 Likes

My friends had Spectrums,m and while I knew the C64 was a much more sophisticated platform, I was always annoyed that some of the games were better and less expensive on the Speccy.

1 Like

School Daze, Way of The Exploding Fist, Commando, Lords of Midnight, and of course anything/ everything by Ultimate: Play The Game were Speccy classics.

The move from cassette tape to big boxes was when the price of games started to jump.

2 Likes

My Dad had a Spectrum but I rarely went near it. My first computer was an Amiga 500 and I still consider that to be one of the greatest games machines ever made. You can park a jaded, games savvy ten year old in front of Supercars II and they’ll still be hooked after five minutes.

1 Like

A500 was another great machine. I lost two years of my life to Kick Off 2.

1 Like

We had KO2 but my brother attained a sort of zen mastery of Sensible World of Soccer that he never did with any other game. The high moment of this was the immortal scoreline Brazil 0, Plymough Argyle 2.

6 Likes

My first was a Spectrum 48 that I swapped for a bike, but my favourite was my Amiga. I was properly addicted to Populous. The 1st we had in the house was a Dragon 32.

1 Like

Anyone bought into the modern reproductions of the older machines?
There’s an Amiga 500 and a Commodore 64, both with pre-loaded games, but there may be others.
Just wondering if they’re worth the money or do the games disappoint in comparison with modern gaming.

The game selections are always a tiny bit strange but you can hack all of them to put whatever you want on really.

1 Like

Really want to play Syndicate again.
(Annoyingly the local council have refused me permission to go postal with a flame thrower in the high street.)

1 Like

Can play it easily on a pc nowadays

Used to do that on an old Windows 95 computer using, I think, dosbox.
But can’t remember the instructions to fire it up.
Might do some research…

1 Like