Couriers

I have a few heavy vintage amplifiers to ship within the UK and thought that I would resurrect this thread in the hope of any recent or alternative recommendations ?

I’d always recommend dpd
We haven’t had one problem posting heavy items in the uk.
We always make sure heavier items are pretty much bomb proof before shipping

For some bizarre reason the local Plymouth depot moved to liskeard a while back,so now everything goes with parcelforce
Why you would move a business from a place that has a population of 260,000 to a place with less than 10,000 is one of life’s mysteries

Try saying that when you see what £20 will get you round the back of Whitechapel.

Do they charge much more if they collect as well as deliver?

Thanks @stu , I should also have mentioned that collection a must .

UPS, they do collection as well for around an extra £3, I’ve never had any issues with them and use them whenever possible.

2 Likes

We had an account which I think cost a pound per parcel to be picked up,I used to drop at the depot on the way home.

Probably the best way to do it is via one of those middlemen sites so you can see which ones if any will pick up.

Hermes has been taken over by Evri. Still total shite. Avoid unless you’re a masochist.

Of course with any company,you find out how good they are when you put in a claim.

Royal Mail wanted to pay me in stamps when £20 went missing.

1 Like

Yes , I was all set to go with UPS until reading the insurance restrictions that Graeme pointed out further upstream.

Special Provisions:

• Amplifiers - maximum Parcel Protection value for damages is £200.00, up to £2,500.00 for lost items.

The particular pair I was hoping to ship next week are worth £6K … I suppose I could split into two parcels and be close on a total loss however £200 max on courier damage is pretty risible.

Personally,for that sort of money,I’d rather deliver them myself, or organise a meet

3 Likes

Stu, I originally sold them with the proviso that they would be collected by a friend, who has now gone all ‘I’m too ill to travel “ so the buyer is asking me to ship.

1 Like

Get him to organise it and send the paperwork to you

3 Likes

Yes good advice , I am heading that way unless I get a better deal elsewhere , taking a look at DPD just now.

Dpd insurance used to be done by weight of the item x much for each kilo
It will come nowhere near what the item is worth unless they do a super expensive package.

1 Like

From claims I’ve put in before,it’s much better if the parcel goes missing than gets damaged.
I sent a very nice tuner to Hertfordshire a decade or so ago,they tried to deliver once but left no card,the tuner was smashed by what I’m guessing was a fork lift.They wouldn’t pay out because I hadn’t used a specific type of packing material that was hidden in terms and conditions

1 Like

There is a insurance company that covers parcels. I will post when I get home.

1 Like

Secursus provide insurance on top of the courier
I posted all the details in a tread somewhere.
It got pinned but can’t remember which thread

If you are shipping anything pack it well then pack it again.
If you are not confident it can be dropped from 1m onto a concrete floor landing on a corner then it isn’t packed well enough.

Found the thread

1 Like

Thanks Kevin. That is the one.

Can I ask where from and where too ?
I get around a fair bit :grinning: