Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

If you see here at 4:50-5:05 - but maybe he’s talking about brewing a larger amount - I’ve only been doing 15g/250g water so far.

I just tried setting it to 32 and this is better. Maybe I’ll try 38 next and see. Their guide suggests 14-28 for pour over, 22-32 for filter and 30-38 for French press.

Thanks, will try their Fazenda Inhame as a next step.

The 40/60 Tetsu Kasuya method needs it a fair bit courser than Hoffmann’s version. I think Kevin uses the Tetsu method which would explain the course grind setting he used.

1 Like

Could also try this:

I like it as I just find it easier but I’m not saying it’s producing better coffee. I am enjoying my coffee now and really that is lighter roast and less bitter, more towards a sour flavour. I’ve made cups that seemed to be right in the middle of bitter/sour and I was feeling like it was lacking something.

I was not a massive coffee drinker before and even now I only use a small dose but I’m even wondering whether I like it much more now as I acquired more of a taste for it via testing. I really just prefer it black now.

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Jims bake off yeah?

1 Like

N00b question - I ordered the Fazenda Inhame but how do I know if it’s a light or dark roast? It doesn’t mention.

Look at it when it arrives?
That coffee is medium/dark and will be great to experiment with, you will get consistent results and understand how changes you make in your process affect the outcome

Generally the lighter the roast, the more aromatic. the more expensive.

Thanks. I thought it’d be a set thing - like how they specify whether they grind for espresso vs filter - so too they’d say whether light or dark.

I tried a few more grind settings this morning. While I can taste the differences in settings, I guess my problem is I don’t know what ‘good’ tastes like, so I have nothing to benchmark against. Imma get myself on a coffee tasting course. Both Origin and Caravan do them for filter coffee making for a pretty decent £65.

Get some consistency going.
Get decent quality beans, repeatable grinds, a set of scales, a timer and a method, and stick to it.
You will then be able to work out what ‘good’ tastes like!

1 Like

I was like this. I now feel that I can notice differences and at least I know when I think it tastes ok for me. People will have preferences for one thing over another, unless it’s totally undrinkable. I have been bouncing between two grind settings and though I think I like one more than the other, I like the taste of both with this bean.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve been using scales and a timer (have the Timemore Black Mirror Basic Pro) and have settled on Hoffman’s 5 stage method. Only thing missing is the decent beans I think, which are hopefully on their way.

1 Like

Yeah I made two cups this morning, one slightly finer (setting #20 Vs #22). My wife preferred the finer and me the coarser.

Edit: I wonder if she prefers finer as she’s used to drinking Gold Blend instant for years. But will see in due course as I try better beans and refine my brewing.

1 Like

You are the 5-way horn man of coffee!

I’ve found others who are used to drinking lattes have preferred my finer, slightly bitter cups. And yes, the better beans will be totally different. I’ve had my fair share of supermarket crap :grinning:

People who are used to drinking shit coffee don’t have opinions worth considering as they don’t have a decent reference point.
A bit like someone who has only listened to very lossy MP3 through a soundbar expounding about HiFi.

1 Like

This is true. When I said they preferred them, they still didn’t really care for it :joy:. I’m assuming that’s it’s their poor taste and not my poor tasting coffee but who knows?!

Decent’s arrived early.

The accessories I ordered separately are arriving on donkey post so I have no 58mm tamper :rofl: :sob: :sob:

10 Likes

Use fists

2 Likes

You are going to have to start your own YT channel soon :grinning:
Start with an ‘Unboxing’ vid

“The cunty barista”

8 Likes