Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

Non troll alert.

Gave my Nespresso machine to the parents and they really like it. My dad is a tea drinker but does like a cappuccino. Can anyone recommend a good milk heater and frother? Had one that came with a Nespresso machine years ago but the milk kept burning and sticking to the bottom.

Iā€™ve been using the Nespresso one for years , the kids use for hit chocolates. There is a maximum amount of milk indentationā€¦stops milk burning

1 Like

cheers I had the very first version and it looks like theyā€™re on mk4 now so may have been improved.

This looks good based on the reviews and is Ā£20 cheaper than the aeroccino 3.

Do these heat and whisk type get close to what a stream wand can do?
Weā€™ve got a whisk type (fairly cheap), and itā€™s disappointing in comparison.

No. But theyā€™re much better than the whisk things.

1 Like

I found that the method Hoffman suggested, using a small cafetiere thing with hot milk, gave better results than a whisk thing, but it still wasnā€™t a patch on real steamed milk

Iā€™m really liking this one (espresso)

3 Likes

did they employ gin&tonic to do the photoshoot for the website?

Anyone got any recommendations for a real top-of-the-line level coffee? Got the brother in law in the family secret santa, and heā€™s massively into coffee (roasts his own beans etc). Doesnā€™t have to be green beans necessarily though, but itā€™s an option.

Canā€™t speak to how good they are but Colonna sell some eye wateringly expensive beans in silly small bags Colonna Coffee

Thatā€™s the one I had as a freebee when I went last. Mega. Iā€™m running low, so will get some Monday; I doubt I can make it like they can but good to know its still nice without the 25k of gear producing it!

1 Like

That looks ideal - beans youā€™d look at but struggle to justify for your own use, and they do a variety pack thatā€™s about the right price point for the budget weā€™ve all set. Thank you!

Iā€™d also wait for @Wayward to suggest something. Heā€™s more of a high roller than me and has actual experience of buying stuff in that sort of price range.

1 Like

The smell when I opened the bag was phenomenal. Now I know freshly opened coffee always smells great, but this was exceptional.

1 Like

Heā€™s on the edge of the rabbit hole, lads.

One little shoveā€¦

:smiley:

7 Likes

If you are going to buy some more give me a PM as I have a 15% discount code for Origin.

1 Like

Lol, Iā€™ll just continue to enjoy 90% coffee with 10% of the faff. :grinning:

1 Like

@TMC Iā€™d look at Hundred House Coffee and in particular their Freak & Unique line of micro lots and out there processed stuff. I canā€™t afford it at the moment but Iā€™m itching to try some of it. I have a couple of mates that rave about them.

2 Likes

Weird, I didnā€™t know they had expanded. They started out in Cornwall and used to supply one of the venues I was booking for. An old mate who was a barista ended up working for them and became a master roaster (Whatever that is?) I do remember he would jump straight to conniption at the mention of Robusta. Iā€™ve never had a better coffee than he used to make.

1 Like

Origin are top roasters and have a few cafƩs. Oddly, they have two on Euston Road, one of which is a concession in The British Library. I was worried that they would dissappear during the pandemic but they just shut temporarily. They (and Caravan) are handy for me because I get the train into St Pancras, so just a short walk for supplies. I do still like going into shops!

2 Likes