Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

It’s interesting, let us know what you think.

1 Like

USB C?

Sealed rechargable battery with a USB-C connector. :+1:

1 Like

Decent, how’s the Bluetooth connectivity?

It’s been rock solid so far, had multiple switch on/offs of both machines and it pairs instantly.

See what you did there.

2 Likes

You weren’t wrong :wink:

1 Like

All the toys finally came in, including the simple gooseneck kettle recommended by @Kevin . I have to say, I’d suspected it was a bit of a gimmick as I can pour pretty slowly and steadily with a regular kettle, but it does make life easier, I was pleasantly surprised.

I also tried the Horsham Fazenda Inhame beans (ordered last Thursday, they arrived on Tuesday afternoon - not too impressed). The difference in taste between them and the previous M&S beans was very apparent. I started at #22 grind setting which previously worked for the M&S beans. Although the taste was definitely cleaner and sweeter than the M&S beans, and I can now finally see what people mean when they talk about flavours like fruity notes, etc., it had a clear sour note. I then tried #20 but it was too bitter. I’ve not yet tried #21 but hoping it hits the magic spot. I’m surprised in the difference between two settings, but I recall someone saying the steps were quite large with the Wilfa. Anyway, I’m feeling more comfortable with telling the differences between grind settings and tastes now, which is the main thing.

After trying #21, I’ll experiment with some different methods (I think Hoffman’s 3 step method, and Tetsu Kasuya) and see how that changes things.

P.S. there seems to be some disagreement in posts of yore over whether freezing the beans is a good idea - any thoughts on best practice? Is it safest to use the fridge?

3 Likes

Fridge is a definite no-no because of the humidity.

Freezer can be done if you want to store long term, but I would really recommend not opening the packet first if you are going to do that, again because you don’t want moisture getting to the beans.

I have seen people edging toward longer resting times for beans anyway, so if your beans are say a month after roasting I would not see that as a negative.

1 Like

I still can’t really tell much about the claimed flavours but bitter to sour I can, I just think I’m really bad to matching a level with a term like chocolate fudge. I can understand they are hints towards sweetness etc but the bastard coffee flavour keeps getting in the way!

I find supermarket beans to be levels of bitter and burnt only.

I need some more beans and will get some ordered later I think.

Thanks. So just store in vacuum pack in a cupboard then?

The packs you buy them in are fine tbh, although you can buy vacuum systems if you like. The most important thing is to buy freshly roasted and use within a couple of months. Room temperature is fine, and better than constantly changing temperatures like a cool larder.

1 Like

Yep. I keep mine in their orginal packs. Cool, dark place is the ‘official’ advice.

1 Like

I use the vacuum jars and just write the name of the coffee on them in chalk pen

3 Likes

Thanks all.

Further to my post above, where #22 was a touch sour and #20 a touch bitter, to my dismay, #21 which I tried just now, instead of being the golden middle, turned out to be the worst of both worlds - I could taste a slight bitterness and sourness!

I assume the fault lies somewhere with my neophyte tastebuds, or that I should have gone with a Niche or something… :roll_eyes:

Niche? Cheap rubbish really.

Go further courser and finer tbh. When I had the same grinder as you I could move it 2 or 3 clicks to dial in a fresher or staler coffee. 1 click wasn’t very perceivable

1 Like

I have a Niche, vastly overrated imo.

Definitely no longer the emperors new clothes. I just thought it was well made and will lost a decent amount of time, don’t want to spend more than it costs and will probably only replace it when it dies.

I find it funny how every new grinder is the new niche though. Was at Horsham Coffee and they had a Varia VS3 doing side by sides comparing to a Niche. Seemed good value, but not as well made and had more static issues.

My previous was a specialita and i honestly dont think the Niche is a better grinder, apart from being easier to single dose.

1 Like

Flat vs conical ?

I see you can mod the niche for flat now, but I’m not interested in modding it.