Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

Bookmarked that, will give it a go.
I like the nutty chocolate thing for milk drinks too.

Just finished the Horsham Fazenda Inhame (which I did like with milk - I guess itā€™s similar to that Strangers Coffee one?)ā€¦ and went for this, which sounds a bit lighter and fruitier:

1 Like

That sounds nice. Iā€™m definitely preferring light and fruity types. The washing technique used here could also help with what I seem to prefer, at least I think.

More proof that Starbucks is the worst high street chain

First up in the Discovery subscription with Rave is a natural from Yunnan, China. Had first cup this morning but I was in a mad rush and had to drink it when still a bit hot and knock it back, I felt a little bit Italian. Seems a nice flavour though Iā€™ll have to try it properly with more time. Hopefully be an interesting subscription.

Never had Chinese coffee.
I try and buy stuff from indy roasters who support collectives or small farmers.
Quite often there is a QR code that gives a lot of info about where your coffee is coming from

Very surprised to see Yunnan when I opened the packet. Yunnan is where I get my tea from but I suppose there is a lot of money in coffee currently.

Iā€™ve had a couple of excellent Chinese coffees, in my experience they are great. I guess because coffee is a relatively new crop to grow there, most of what is grown is speciality stuff?

Definitely enjoying it, just had another cup. Will need to try some with altered states of grind.

Not as in your face as the Gasharu beans from them.

Itā€™ll be good to just drink what Iā€™m given rather than having to decide.

Random grinding.

fuck off oh no GIF

Not random lol

It seems that I probably prefer a slight under extraction most of the time, so I like to go a step finer for testing. Usually like one of these two settings, so far anyway.

1 Like

4 Likes

Honestly think the James Hoffmann French press method might be the greatest thing ever. If I was going to a desert island and had to choose between this and a V60, the V60 would be getting chucked.

1 Like

I canā€™t seem to find the ā€˜sweet spotā€™ with this coffee. Weirdly it tastes a little bit sour at finer grinds (maybe itā€™s the taste profile, as it stresses ā€˜crisp appleā€™ which I can detect) and then it seems to go straight to bitter at coarser grinds. Which is the opposite to what should happen right?

Could the filter paper be affecting things? Iā€™m using some random papers (brown, unbleached) found in my office.

See thread title. :+1:

3 Likes

Years ago I really liked coffee when using a French Press. Will need to take a look at his method and try it.

Didnā€™t he also seem to like that dripper which is more like a press where the coffee sits in the water and then you release it when ready? Due to this I went with the single pour method which gets the water in the coffee quickly and you give it a good stir. Maybe a simple French Press is what I need to try again!

I can still remember loving some Costa Rican beans as the flavours coming through were so good and itā€™s not as if I actually tried to do anything fancy.

1 Like

Who said the Hoffman method was simple?

Itā€™s very simple, but also has a ā€œthis shouldnā€™t workā€ air to it.

2 Likes

I will give it a go :+1:

Well, I had assumed but I havenā€™t looked at it.