Crack snacks

I see #BoycottDoritos is trending (something something trans I think).

I mean, does anyone eat that garbage voluntarily?

Flipping chemical warfare in a bag. Fight me.

2 Likes

Samantha Hudson aside, this should be more than enough to avoid

Corn, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Canola, And/or Sunflower Oil), Maltodextrin (Made From Corn), Salt, Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Whey, Monosodium Glutamate, Buttermilk, Romano Cheese (Part-skim Cow’s Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Whey Protein Concentrate, Onion Powder, Corn Flour, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Dextrose, Tomato Powder, Lactose, Spices, Artificial Color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, And Red 40), Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Skim Milk, Red And Green Bell Pepper Powder, Disodium Inosinate, And Disodium Guanylate.

1 Like

transfats would be the most offensive thing about them.

Not questioning that these things are hugely unhealthy (mummification-inducing levels of sodium salts for starters), never mind the ultra-processing, high carbs, negligible fibre, excess fat, &c &c… But… For all the scary names, even the last two are natural byproducts of fermentation. It really is the salt that’s the killer. . . .

…Says man that fucking loves crisps - to a suicidal extent… :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Simply the fact that it contains msg is enough to put me off, I don’t react well to it.

1 Like

Out of interest, do you react to things like broccoli or parmesan?

No, don’t eat a lot of broccoli but I do eat lots of parmesan. Neither seem to have any adverse effects.

What makes you ask that?

MSG occurs naturally in both (and a whole load of other foods) - more by luck than judgement I’ve never yet had a client say they cannot have MSG, because if there’s a proper allergy I don’t quite know how I’d go about handling it, because of course in neither case will it be listed on the ingredients. But I’m in turn fascinated about where people who have an issue with some forms of it find it stops having an effect.

I’m guessing we’re talking about a lower total quantity in naturally occurring cases, but I think parmesan is supposed to be one of the higher ones.

If I have something with msg “added” I tend to have a very restless night and have to drink copious amounts of water every time I wake up.

If I have, say, a bolognese, I put loads of parmesan on it but don’t seem to get the same reaction.

Maybe, as you say, it’s the quantity?

1 Like

Yep, same here. “Chinese Restaurant Syndrome”

Is it not banned in some states of America now?

Not a clue, but even the idea that I might start to take dietary advice from the USA is worrying :grimacing:

3 Likes

Haggis and MSG 》muh gunz

Do you use salt pretty sparingly in home-cooked stuff?

I wouldn’t say sparingly, just the right amount for my taste. Whether that is more or less than “normal” I don’t know :man_shrugging:

I do tend to use Himalayan Pink Salt in most dishes that require it.

Just wondering if you’re sensitive to sodium in general - though I get much the same effects as you from high-MSG food, certainly wouldn’t characterise it as an allergy.

I wouldn’t call my aversion to msg an allergy, just some unpleasant side effects.

On some dishes - fish and chips for example - I probably add the daily recommended dose of salt for a small village, with no apparent side effects. It will probably kill me but then many things I do are already going down that avenue.

We ordered delivery Chinese from a place in Dereham one evening not long after moving here. Although it tasted good, I had an awful night, just like Paul described above.

So, the next time we ordered from the same place, we requested no MSG please.

When the food arrived it was much, much sweeter and saltier than the first time…ffs :man_shrugging:

Lot of the bought-in stocks and sauces are loaded to the gizzard with MSG, hard for them to avoid - plus no-one giving a shit most likely.

2 Likes

Yeah, I often use Soy Sauce and only buy versions with “no added msg”

I’m well aware that msg is a by product of the production process but some brands still add moar of the stuff.

1 Like