Cricket, lovely cricket (Part 1)

Pity the bowler in1979…

Sir Gordon Greenidge, Zaheer Abbas, Asif Iqbal, Barry Richards, Ian Chappell, David Gower, Graham Gooch and Sir Clive Lloyd.

1 Like

You would have to rely on a rew run outs !

You are Scooby Doo and I claim my £5.

5 Likes

TBF some of the bowling attacks of that era were up to the challenge.

Those bats all look tiny

What a finish to this year’s IPL.

CSK needed 10 from the last 2 balls and Jadeja hit a 6 and a 4

One of the very best finals I’ve seen, despite being reduced to 15 overs due to rain.

1 Like

Here we go.

Test Match cricket is back!

2 Likes

England’s run-a-ball start in full flow.

At this rate they might even overhaul Ireland’s total this evening :grin:

1 Like

This current mismatch is all but over but from what I’ve seen there isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that Stokes can play 5 tests against Oz. Even just as a batsman.

That knee of his is properly fucked.

:frowning_face:

He does look fucked.

With him and Jofra out we will be utterly dependent on Anderson and Broad keeping the Aussies in sight and the chances of both of them playing five tests is zero.:weary:

Leach out for the series. Not sure who is the next spinner on the rank.

There was an article in the Torygraph saying he would decide the Ashes: as the player targeted by the Aussies and the one that could turn it either way.

They need someone to get overs in and hold an end to give the quicks some respite if it gets attritional.

Given Stokes’s knee we could play an extra seamer and rely on Root for a few overs.

Ireland getting to play test cricket is a bit like Italy being admitted to the 6N.
It is neccesary if they are ever going to improve but it will take 20 years before they become competetive.
I also can’t see Ireland ever hosting an economically viable test match.
They wouldn’t sell many tickets.

Nor be able to host a 5 day match without rain interruptions.

Booooooooo, ya boi, ya

18 months ago this would hardly have raised an eyebrow, now it’s a major blow.

That’s how much he’s improved :frowning_face:

They couldn’t play Rehan Ahmed, could they? You never know with this regime!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised tbh. If their relentless positivity stretches to selection, I can’t see them selecting another seamer unless they play Wood and Tongue and that might be a stretch even for them, considering the 2 player’s injury history.

Adil Rashid would be my choice, but I think both he and Moeen are off limits by their choice. Livingstone and Jacks are batsmen first and their bowling is perhaps more suited to WBC.

Rehan is a tantalising prospect. He really settled in his second spell in Pakistan and Stokes captained him with great understanding and feel. He’s an attacking option with no fear, which fits the Bazball remit! :grin:

3 Likes

Rehan would be a big gamble but an exciting one. I would love to see Rashid playing but guess that won’t happen.

Jacks and Livingstone don’t offer much above Root so don’t really see the point.

County Cricket really doesn’t help with the development of spinners, it’s a big problem.

Excellent article here considering the various options

I actually think (and quietly hope) that Rehan might just get the nod. He’s a bit of an unknown to the Aussies, is full of confidence and as you say, certainly fits in with the current remit.

1 Like