Criticise my TV choice

We do very reasonable room rates :grinning:

Presumably because you charge by the square foot.

:thinking:

6 Likes

Christ, this!

I’m reminded of a Samsung CRT I had decades ago, which had an auto brightness feature. If you watched a film with white subtitles, there would be a huge change in brightness reach time a subtitle came up. Unwatchable.

This TV is almost as bad. If the scene is dark with a few light bits, there’s a lighter stripe vertically, filling the whole of that part of the screen. How does that make sense?

Fortunately, this TV has “Filmmaker” mode, which removes all processing (unlike my old Samsung). And then it looks lovely.

I’m at a loss for why the standard setup is the way it is though. Bizarre.

Anyway:

Shit film.

2 Likes

No. It has TARS.

Someone has set to your film appreciation level to zero.

Ok it’s getting a Pi.

There’s no set top box or TV aerial socket, so I’ve been thinking about how to get broadcast TV to it. It’s not a huge issue, but it would be nice.

I fairly quickly decided that I could use a Pi and a spare TV USB card I have. Set up TVheadend, maybe with Kodi, which will then serve anywhere in the house.

I did spend longer than I’m willing to admit working out how to access the TVheadend server from the TV, before I remembered that Kodi used to be called Xbox Media Centre and there’s a fucking Xbox right underneath it. Sigh.

1 Like

Go Pi

Just got the pi running, installed the server software (TVheadend), configured Kodi on the Xbox, and am now watching live TV.

Only to find that the TV card isn’t HD, doh!

1 Like

Thought the Pi mini HDMI out supports 4k.

The pi is just acting as a server for the TV card, and flings the signal over the network. Every thing I have is HD compatible except the bloody TV card - garbage in, garbage out!

Now installed a foot stool, speakers are levelled, changed the computer system a bit due to a dodgy connector, balances roughly sorted and it’s sounding great. Multi purpose room FTW.

4 Likes

Why are you wearing tights? :grin:

Claire’s at work

15 Likes

:joy:

Because his wife wears the trousers. :rofl:

8 Likes

and the Y-fronts?

Helps with dusting the telly.

I’m having to reply to this exact comment for a second time.

The TV has filmmaker mode, which turns most of the processing bollocks off. But not all of it. Some of it you need to go through the settings in detail, find it, and turn it off.

And you need to do that for each input. And for each app.

And when it updates itself, you need to do it again.

Just think about that.

I wouldn’t mind, but the setting that I have an issue with is the local dimming feature. It’s utterly fucking shit - if there’s a bright light in a dark scene, the light spreads out across half the screen. It’s so pervasive, I just can’t understand how it got through any kind of quality control.

/rant

1 Like

The standard engineer approaches to being sociable in an office seems to mean that MrsKettle will be continuing a lot more WfH. The techcave currently has a way cheap 24" telly used as a monitor as well, she does CAD stuff so a bigger one with a decent picture could be useful. Considerations are
a) we can just about shoehorn a 32" screen in
b) it needs to also be a telly rather than just a monitor
c) it needs at least some analogue connectivity for old games consoles
d) smart stuff isn’t that important, we have Virgin TV boxes and Pis to do that sort of stuff

so would this be an OK choice?