Cuntscooters - should they be legal?

I have only stopped one so far, they had a driving licences, so got points as it is an endorsable offence.

They did not help themselves though going the wrong way around a roundabout at dusk with no lights. Being known to us it was no surprise to find cannabis on them too :laughing:

5 Likes

I didnt know that was a thing with e scooters.
Shame the same doesn’t apply to cyclists with a driving licence.

3 Likes

It does in Germany.

Mate’s son came a nasty cropper off his bike while drunk, and had to work very hard to avoid losing his license completely. He committed to not drinking at all for twelve months, with samples of his hair taken and analysed regularly to prove abstinence, and the judge accepted this as proof that he had learned his lesson.

2 Likes

It does, depends on the offence

1 Like

Is that documented somewhere in the public domain?

Edit I’m being lazy, will google…

Wait till we get app rented electric scooters, the type you sit on. All the rage in Netherlands, seem to work ok.

We have the app rented, foot scooters, legal in Cambridge city centre, only.

FoL#2 telling me he’s now seen kids 3up on the rented scooters in Bristol.

I would assume if you rent one it will have some kind of insurance

Horse-riders/horse-drawn too I believe - a few people over the years have thought it safe to cycle/ride when drunk and lost their licences.

Having watched this

I’m left wondering, do adults scoot?

I have no issue with them in places which are setup for them, like the Netherlands with all the cycle lanes and LA with the pavements three times wider than ours.

UK laws for roads are often for Motor Vehicles which is adapted for road use, but lots of the legislation also covers MPV mechanically propelled vehicles. This is what picks up on electric scooters and therefore the power to seize without insurance etc.

It needs updating as does electric bicycles which can easily do 30+mph

2 Likes

I have a friend who just bought an e-bike. As soon as he got it, the guy selling it offered to deregulate it, so the motor would continue to help beyond 15mph.

I see these expensive scooters that do 30, 40 even 50+ mph, and this seems crazy to me - the wheels are far too small for this kind of speed, and the standing up position seems a great way to launch your head into the ground at really high speed.

An electric scooter is a great way to travel a mile or two. It saves my son about half an hour every day on his trip to school and back. That’s all win. But if you need it to do high speeds, it’s the wrong mode of transport!

As for Europe, I’m in the Netherlands right now and the systems for bikes, scooters etc are amazing, it’s so easy. But I was in Antwerp for a couple of days; they have 3 scooter companies plus loads of bikes, mopeds etc. It’s fucking carnage - mopeds at speed in cycles lanes dodging pedestrians. And Amsterdam was all bikes, rather than e scooters, oddly enough.

It is, until…

It can’t just be about what works for you.

This is the problem, if everyone else is using them and mixing with pedestrians and other road traffic, it just ends up being dangerous.

1 Like

Yeah that’s my point entirely. There needs to be sensible and pragmatic legislation that is actually upheld. Antwerp was a total free for all, with vehicles capable of 60mph in cycle lanes. But what the copper did to that dude for riding “without insurance” is just as ludicrous. There has to be a reasonable middle ground.

Cuntscooters - a clue there.
A total fucking nuisance where I live.

3 Likes

And an accident waiting to happen where I work.

I’ve tried a couple out on private land with the owners permission.

I see them as a toy. Fuck riding one around on the road though!

Id like to see them fitted with proper lighting and reflectors.

Otherwise, let darwinism do it’s job*

*as long as nobody innocent is taken down as well.

2 Likes

1 Like

Remember that online game, Smack the Penguin?
Maybe we could stand on the pavements, as they go by, and play smack the scooter operator!

4 Likes