Cycling

Despite all good intentions life had other ideas so I haven’t been out much - just started riding into work again though and 620am on a stunning morning in Richmond Park reminded me of why I love cycling

6 Likes

Quite right!

The stars aligned last weekend and I managed to get out and do a 200km ride, something I’d been keen to try for a while. 6 1/2 hrs in the saddle, just a couple of stops to top up the bottles. Just the ticket to clear the head and take in the view

6 Likes

We’re currently in Brussels for the start of the Tour de France and Anne has surpassed herself by getting 31 rider and one Mitchelson Scott DS autograph. She shows no fear. :star_struck:

Fingers-crossed I have manged to get some good photographs :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

That looks like test hill (going down?)

Dark Hill Dave, going up :point_up:

2 Likes

Just back from Brussels and what a brilliant weekend - scorchio, beer, frites and the TdF couldn’t ask for more.

Managed to get some decent photographs although I was outdone by Anne getting a host of amazing autographs including Geraint Thomas and Peter Sagan

Viviani TdF_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

S Yates1 Tdf_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

A Yates2 TdF_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

Nibali2 TdF_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

Küng1 Tdf_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

Impey1 TdF_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

Bouet1 TdF_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

Direct Energie TdF_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

AG2R TT TdF_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

White TdF_2019 by Allan Brisbane, on Flickr

I never fails to amaze us how obliging these guys are given it’s the biggest race of the year.

We ended up having a long chat with Matt White, the boss of Mitchelton Scott (in the above pic), who then got all the riders to sign Anne’s book and the same with the FDJ’s guys as well.

5 Likes

We decided to do the Five Ferries bike route today, which is the first time for me, but what an absolute classic cycling day out.

It involves a fair bit of climbing so I’m tired now as I’ve not been doing much cycling other than going to work so it was a shock to the system :grinning:

We went in the counter clockwise direction so went as follows

Ferry One - Wemyss Bay to Rothesay (Bute)

Ferry Two - Rhubodach (Bute) to Colintraive (Cowal)

Ferry Three - Portavadie (Cowal) to Tarbert (Kintyre)

Ferry Four - Claonaig (Kintyre) to Lochranza (Arran)

Ferry Five - Brodick (Arran) to Ardrossan

Then from Ardrossan back to Wemyss Bay to get the car

Epic and much needed Ham sandwich in Lochranza with home baked sourdough bread and a cuppa.

9 Likes

Looks great. How many miles of cycling is it?

It’s a great day out Guy - the main route is just over 65 miles and has over 3,800 ft of climbing we had an additional 18 miles at the end.

3 Likes

You seem to have omitted the decimal point old chap.

1 Like

I’ve just broke the 3,000 mile mark for the year Mike, despite doing feck all training for the last six weeks, so not too shabby :metal:

2 Likes

More than a ton a week is a great baseline, Allan!

My target is 5,500 this year but that will depend on how the weather pans out for the rest of the year. I do include my commutes as it’s a 21 mile round trip so that accounts for a fair few miles as well.

I really enjoyed it today as it’s the hardest run I’ve done in ages but it also highlighted just how much fitness I’ve lost in the last 6 weeks - I was puffing away like Ivor The Engine at the beginning :grinning:

2 Likes

I just don’t seem to make the time these days. Must try harder. At least I got the all clear from the doc this week, so there’s no reason why I can’t put the extra effort in.

3 Likes

Excellent news on the all clear Gareth

1 Like

That’s great news Gareth :+1:

Just get out when you can and enjoy it - your fitness will come back so no need to rush things.

1 Like

Cheers chaps

Looks lovely Allan. How long did that circuit take? There is a fair amount of climbing so it can’t have been over in a couple of hours!!

1 Like

It’s a full day Olan - we left at 7am and I got home just after 6pm and that was reasonably quick as we caught all the ferries as planned. If you miss one or two then that can seriously push out your time.

After arriving in Rothsay first thing, it was then a mad 9 mile dash to catch the second ferry which allowed us a bit of leeway for the rest of the day.

1 Like

Looks brilliant Allan v envious of that ride :+1:

1 Like