Cycling

Who will the French throw their piss at now?

2 Likes

Milk shakes are the new piss.

1 Like

Sounds like a bad crash, probably out of the Vuelta too.

Seemingly, itā€™s very serious indeed

Hopefully heā€™ll make a full recovery

The health care in France can be absolutely top drawer. But it does sound like heā€™s taken a very bad knock. To break an adult male femur isnā€™t easy and a broken hip, depending on what they mean by that, could take a lot of putting right in an athlete for whom leg movement is everything. Fingers crossed.

VB

3 Likes

Fingers crossed indeed it sounds a lot worse than first reported

Not a good day for crashes yesterday

We had a good ride out to catch the womens tour go over one of our local hills. Christine Majerus of Boels in the black QOM jersey sprinting for 2nd in the QOM over the top, leader had gone through 40 secs before.

Not so long after one of the CCC lead out riders went down on a pothole taking out team and race leader Marianne Vos and most of the rest of the peleton, so bad that they halted the race for 30 mins as all the race medical facilities were required leaving nothing for the remaining riders. 9 abandoned including Vos. :cry:

Get well soon Froomey, Vos and all those affected

Yes. I was half a mile down the road from the site of that big crash (see yesterdayā€™s posts over in the ā€˜Today I have mainly been V2.0ā€™ thread). I watched the highlights on ITV4 last night where they had the footage from the car directly in front of the peloton. They were clipping along down Hadden Hill (steeper than it looks) and tightly packed as the road is quite narrow and a bit twisty. As the first woman goes down you just know itā€™s going to be catastrophic. Sure enough the chaos puts the entire rear third of the peloton down onto the tarmac, at some speed. Ugly, ugly. Footage from later sections of the race shows riders with scraped and bloodied legs. One of them described it as ā€˜a long 80kmā€™.

VB

Those not involved in the sport sometimes struggle to comprehend the forces involved until something like this happens. It all looks pretty sedate as the riders swan along at 25-30mph.

I was caught behind a big one at the Tour of Cambridgeshire in 2017, near the start 450 riders doing 28-29 mph, the road narrowed by a foot or two, carnageā€¦ itā€™s the noise of it all, horrendous when youā€™re close by. Fortunately I stayed up, touching the back of the guy in front who went down and being hit from behind but no damage. Ruined my race but many not so fortunateā€¦

My daughter (9) is doing a ā€œBikeabilityā€ course at school this week. She remarked yesterday that Froome should have ā€œkept one hand on the handlebars at all timesā€.

6 Likes

While looking for looking for my degree certificate for my new employer to see, I came across my cycling proficiency certificate the other day. :sunglasses:

That was about the peak of my cycling prowess, Iā€™m afraid. :laughing:

2 Likes

Went out on my first ride on the Klein yesterday. Just over a 20 mile country lane circuit to Hitchin and back.

The Klein is as stiff as a stiff thing and the gears defo need looking at, as the change is very hit and miss / jerky and it threw the chain 3 or 4 times but I think Iā€™m going to like it.

As it is now -

4 Likes

Needs matching Thomson silver handlebar stem.

Not at the moment it doesnā€™t :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

The silver seatpost looks better already :+1:

:+1:

The mechanic did say the drivetrain was pretty worn. You could always go down the single speed route if you donā€™t intend to do any off road stuff.

Is it a 3x9 groupset, Allan?

Itā€™s an 3 x 8 or 9 cassette Gareth canā€™t quite remember

I donā€™t think heā€™s too wrong Allan :disappointed: