D.I.Y. dounutery

Ah ok, thanks for the verification Jim, is there anything that man VB doesn’t know?

1 Like

I know enough that when we sold our first house and bought another one I said to Mrs VB “those sash windows were a faff”. We’ve got casements now. It turns out they’re a different sort of faff.

VB

Very true, there is so many things that need work. I’ve had to fit new putty, sand, sand and sand, unbearable amounts of painting. Knowing how to get them out of the frame has been a great help though.
Nearly finished this one.

7 Likes

They are very beautiful though. I miss them now I don’t have to look after them. And the high ceilings.

VB

1 Like

Yes I’m sure I will love them once they are all fine and dandy. Currently they are a bit of a ball ache. They are just so time consuming and people who restore them charge a premium, necessitating me doing them myself.

Lovely windows,i had to strip about 4 almost identical ones then wax them some years ago.Took me days but they still look good

1 Like

Beautiful. :+1:

1 Like

Just remembered that we found a hidden safe behind one of the panels,took a while to break into it,but nothing there.

Wow, was that in the panelling beneath the sill?
Shame it was empty

Yes,the same as the one next to your radiator,it was a loose panel you had to tap to get it out,then a fixed in the wall safe.

Excuse me while I go tap a few panels :wink:

Euphemism? Don’t forget the Kleenex…:slightly_smiling_face:

Now you’ve made me think of Anneka Rice.

1 Like

I need to take out an internal door frame that has a glass side panel (it looks shit and we’d prefer a marginally more open plan feel).
The frame is attached to what was once the back, external wall of the house, following the previous owners extension its now an internal wall. So effectively wooden door frame attached to brick.

Before a start with a claw :hammer: and crowbar is there likely to be anything to catch me out what with it being an extermal wall. I expect not but wonder if @J_B or anyone else has any knowledge of what might have been used to secure the frame.

Not done this before and don’t want to make the making good phase any harder than necessary.

Ta muchly.

How old is the building and door frame?

House built very late 60s. Extension / door frame 20ish yrs.

Not really, I would make some cuts through the jambs and take it out in peices, is it the old external frame or a door lining.

And of course, watch out for parliament hinges :thinking:

4 Likes

Its a “new” door lining.
Cutting it out in pieces is a good shout.

The screws fixing it to the wall are likely to be concealed under the doorstops, so if you can separate/remove the stops from the jambs, then you should simply be able to unscrew the fixings.

1 Like

don’t big unscrewing anything just use one of these to cut