Dadsnet advice - electric screwdrivers

This thread is the new hcb.

I think you’ve nailed it :roll_eyes:

I’m guessing this thread has lost relevance in the last 3 years, but my question is the same - In your opinions, what is the current best VFM battery screwdriver ?

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

More or less any drill / driver will be better than an electric screwdriver. They’re universally not very good ime.

3 Likes

Sorry, yes, I really meant a battery drill / driver.

Makita for me. Abused mine for 7 years now and still the most used power tool in my collection.

1 Like

Ideally buy a drill/driver bare drill and then use a battery that you have already to reduce the amount of batteries/chargers you need. I’m a Milwaukee fan but Dewalt Makita or Ryobi is also good. I think 18V is the best voltage if you are thinking of house door frame type DIY. 12V is lighter and better for smaller jobs. Some makes like Milwaukee have a charger that will cover 12V and 18V.

We had a load of building work done earlier in the spring. The carpenter and plumber were using Erbauer drills and impact drivers, they said they’re solid and reliable. My old bosch drill needing replacing so bought a pair of Erbauer ones in a case a couple of months ago.
They are very good VFM, shit loads of torque.
Screwfix sell them.

1 Like

I use Ebauer, they are great value.

1 Like

Ryobi here, survived loads of abuse

I found a Dewalt on a good discount and have abused it for years without I’ll effects - somehow ended up over time with 2 drill-drivers and an impact driver all sharing the same batteries and chargers - fantastic for saving time on bigger jobs where you need to pilot drill different sizes and put in lots of screws :nerd_face:

I’d just buy what ever is on offer from a known brand.

Get great write ups and very good value, so went for

ae235

Thanks for the reco.

3 Likes

I’ve got a van full of DeWalt stuff but keep one of these in my toolbag.

You’ve got a tool bag? :thinking:

Macho name for a Man Bag :+1:

2 Likes

I have an 18 volt makita limping along after years on 1 battery that’s a gnats ball away from failure.
Also a Bosch electric screwdriver with ‘revolver like’ built in bits. I have lost the charger to this.

The makita gets way more use than the bosch even before the charger went awol.

The big downside of both is their size, many times when working close to walls or in tight corners they just don’t fit or you can’t get the pressure on the screw so you’re in danger of mangling the screw head.

unless I have loads of screws, I much prefer to use my Wera ratchet.

Just use your wrists like a real fucking man.

:thinking: