DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

Ordering the DaytonIts £20 cheaper than the MiniDSP one and I don’t need USB as I have an audio interface with Phantom power. Should be here tomorrow.

2 Likes

Quick question on REW?

I’ve just got a subwoofer so I wanted to measure the cutoff for my speakers but REW doesn’t seem to work from an external audio sweep.

I’ve downloaded a 1Hz - 44KHz WAV sweep and was going to play it via the streamer but I can’t seem to get REW to just work from the microphone input. Everytime I start a measurement it plays an internal sweep through the laptop speakers.

Is it possible to use an external sweep and just measure it using the REW mic?

Yes, the sweep needs a timing signal in it and you need to tell rew to wait for the timing signal.

I’ve tried checking the wait for timing signal but it still plays the sweep through the laptop speakers.

I’m not in front of it right now so not sure, I think it does still play a sweep, just mute it and hit play on your sweep with the embedded timing signal.

You can also just record the sweep and import the sound file into REW.

Cheers, will give that a try tonight, it’s on a Mac so will probably do the complete opposite of what I ask anyway.

REW can be used to export a sweep with the timing signal, I’d try that instead of a downloaded one.

Ah didn’t know that, I just used a meridian explorer DAC plugged into the amp and laptop before but I’ve lost the bloody thing now.

Dese people, dem speakin hiiieroglyphics

2 Likes

youse are not in da rong dare

I just plug the headphone out from the laptop into the line input on the preamp and the REW sweep is played through the speakers

needs a cable something like this

It’s a macbook, nothing is that simple, it only has USB C ports.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

MACs :roll_eyes:

1 Like

“Just works”

1 Like

Got it working with a windows :slight_smile: laptop and an old Hiface converter. No idea if they are good or bad although I assume flatter is better?

This is the first measurement with the sub switched off…

And the next with it switched on…

Working through my 1980’s Teac R2R replacing a lot of shitty components with better ones. Machines of this vintage do use a lot of pretty mediocre electrolytic caps for signal coupling.

I’ll try to take some pics.

I hope I can get it all back together later on!

It’ll be interesting to see whether the performance improves noticeably.

7 Likes

If nothing else, the reliability ought to !

VB

1 Like

When you get the covers off the Teac the 1st pcb you come to is the REC PLAY amplifier circuitry.

It requires quite a lot of other stuff to be undone to be able to remove it far enough to start substituting components. Even then it’s still attached by a lot of cables so somewhat fiddly to get at.

All the black coloured caps are now Elna Cerafine (47uF @ 25V) the purple ones are Os-Con types various values & the pinkish ones are Wima Polyester at 1, 2.2 and 4.7uF.

46 caps have gone in so far. I shall leave the last few in the ‘record head’ circuitry for another day.
May also do the PSU caps then.
I have now given the board something of a dusting with a soft brush too.

The other reason for going in was that one of the bulbs that illuminates the VU meters had died. It’s similar to a 30mm fuse if not quite as wide. It looks as if they need an 8v type. People seem to be offering LED replacements now but I’ll try with conventional filament types first. There’s a guy called Tascam Ninja who sells this type so I’m waiting for some to arrive.

8 Likes

Good. Quite a big improvement. Quieter background, better separation of notes, better tone, removes a good deal of mess & occasional harshness. Well worth the effort.

2 Likes

Veis lifted? What does the wife think? :smiley: