DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

She thinks I’m mentally ill. :grinning:

14 Likes

Mmmm…

Could she tell from the next room though…

4 Likes

Been playing with the measurement mic, REW and the Active Crossover design spreadsheets.

Not been entirely successful yet.

This is form the listening position and despite being lower on the bass frequencies it has a ridiculous amount of bass.

I’ve also killed one of my 8 inch mids so a new one on order

Despite the bass being on a general downward trend it has peaks at 100, 50 and 20 or so. It will sound bassy.

1 Like

Ah ok, that makes sense. I was a bit hampered by not having excel as I couldn’t get FRD blender to work so had to use far field measurements for both drivers.

What are your room dimensions?

Something doesn’t look right here.

Have you calibrated the SPL? (40db is very low)

What are you measuring? What are the crossover points?

Have you windowed the measurement?

This doesn’t look right

Are you measuring with pink noise, white noise, frequency sweeps of impulse measurements?

My chair is about 4 metres from the speakers. Room is about 3 metres wide. The speakers are 15" woofers with 8 inch ‘full range’. LR 48db slopes crossed over at 832hz. In REW I did check levels but haven’t used an SPL meter to calibrate anything. Measured using a 256k log sweep. I have not windowed the measurement.

The graph is from the listening position, with the mic at ear height, pointing to the middle of the two speakers.

Looks wrong. I’d be pretty chuffed with -15dB at 5Hz, doubt the neighbours would though!

You have a rising slope of around 6 dB per octave over much of the graph, which is clearly wrong for a speaker response

Are you using a USB mic or analogue mic into the soundcard?

I’m using a Dayton audio analogue mic, into a Focusrite audio interface.

Individual speaker measurements at 1 meter
Tweeter

Woofer

Both together playing same signal without crossover

Nearfield measurement of woofer

Have you calibrated the system from sound card out to in as per the REW guidance?

It’s not open baffle is it?

I think it’s all just noise

Forum tag line.

3 Likes

I tried to calibrate and failed. Will retry.

It is open baffle

Explains the 6db slope.

Does it ? :upside_down_face: