DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

Thanks, I have been planning this project for a year or so but other things got in the way, changed my mind and came back to the start again.
I was having trouble deciding between the fixed magnet AlNiCo version or the Field Coil version but the simplicity of the AlNiCo one, and not having to play around with PSUs and worrying about heat won me over.

3 Likes

You did actually go to a super market to take that pic didn’t you? :grin:

1 Like

Greetings Rob - I’ve still got the 201s. And still loving them :grin:

fabulous , i just love frugalhorns , the xl i borrowed was tremendous for the money . imaged like wow

Just the one? :thinking:

Good to hear! Great speakers those Goodmans :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome dude, what took you?

Anyway, less of this hifi nonsense will you :smile:

I’ve only heard these ‘Lite’ versions for a good period, I think I heard a pair of the normal ones quickly at one of the Scalfords and liked them, although the room was huge.

I thought I registered when it opened, obviously not. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know, talking about hifi, its not on is it! :scream:

1 Like

Hi Rob. Hope all’s well.

1 Like

Rob ? Rob who ? Is there a Rob on here ?

If so, welcome aboard old chap, finally !

Welcome Rob and thank you for making me look half good in the Fantasy Football. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks guys, I think I will be hanging around the DIY and tools thread, looking to getting back into making stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, they all say that when they first appear. Then they meet Stronzetto …

Before you know where you are you’ll be round the Devon fire pit or clinging to a rock face in Yorkshire.

VB

1 Like

Welcome Rob :+1:

Your membership would have been lost in the first Great Immolation. Welcome (back) Rob.

Yes never had a single driver speaker here before and they are hardly the most glamourous looking but never played so much female vocal before .slightly toppy in my attic room but more than makes up for it in other ways

Well, some progress :smiley: Good and not so…

Had a great tidy-up and sort out in the workshop in the past two-weeks, loads more room now to actually make stuff!

Workshop by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And also just picked up a Makita LXT Router, as I have a few other LXT products. Its a great little thing, made up a quick circle cutter out of mdf which worked OK, although I need to refine it a little as its a bit rough.

The new Supravox 165-2000 AlNiCo drivers arrived as well, the Good is they are well matched, the bad is the Qe is well out of spec meaning the Qts is around 1.2 rather than around 0.7.

Initial impressions are Build is very ‘Solid’ if a bit rough around the edges, I know Supravox are a small artisan company in France but for the price I would expect the finish on the chassis to be a little more smooth, or less agricultural :stuck_out_tongue:

Supravox 165-2000 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Supravox 165-2000 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

And measured with a Dayton DATS:

Supravox 165-2000 (1) by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

For reference, Supravox Website:
Fs : 70Hz Re : 4.1Ω Qts : 0.78 Qe : 0.9 Qm : 6 Vas : 40 L Bl : 3.2 Cms : 1.1 Mms : 4.9 g Sd : 165 cm2

2 Likes