DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

They would we welcome in my garden, not sure the neighbours would agree.

1 Like

Some could make these. :+1:

1 Like

These are my favourite at £800 a pop

£798.000001p - someone, somewhere, is laughing themselves to sleep every night.

2 Likes

the Krion solid surface is very efficiency

Dogememetemplate.jpg

Different finger raised, I suspect.

‘Damped with special elastomer putty inside’

= Posh way of saying Plasticine

Really should make some at work

I laid some elastomer putty earlier, the perfume…

1 Like

221716901_2040988729392294_4876639579933946373_n

2 Likes

5 Likes

Spitfire engine valve stem lifters or go home

14010170364_b8f50ef54c

14006524221_7934bee47a

1 Like

Shouldn’t you use spitfire main bearing shells for the cut outs to rest the cables on?

3 Likes

Early lash up of Pearl2 phono stage. Powers up okay without the smoke coming out. Just got to tidy it up and make it a bit less electrocuty.

Might even do measurements if can be arsed. Just ran sine waves through it and they come out the other end.

Might put some fancier components in it at some point if I like it.

7 Likes

Build yourself a reverse RIAA and then play some CD through it to see if you can hear the phono stage in circuit!

1 Like

Had been contemplating one of these due to can’tbearsediness.

That’ll probably do. It’s just interesting to hear what the phono stage changes when you put an inverted RIAA’d signal from a source like a CD player through it.

It’s not unknown for Japanman to listen to his other line sources that way because he likes what his phono stage does to them.

1 Like

How will you know if anything you hear is the phono stage, or if it’s coming from the RIAA reverser ? At least the reverser doesn’t need to have gain, I guess, so it should be easier/cheaper to make it neutral. You could also use it to compare phono stages (but then you could use a cartridge to do that).

The Elliot design linked to above is fairly simple & passive and shouldn’t (if using decent parts) add too much. I found it useful to compare different phono circuits & it is interesting to compare with the source going directly.

We had one of these at work. Unless we managed to sell it. If it is still there might have a play.

https://www.thinksrs.com/products/sr1.html