DIY Horn speakers?

Yea build them.

So you could get 2440 mids for $300 each and 2404 highs for $400 the pair. Sadly vat is likely, so just over a grand in real money. Eminence 15a are Ā£50 each or so.

The horns can cost money. You might be able to find something for Ā£300; the multi cell guy might still be around and building. Gregdee would probably be willing to add his enormous margin onto the lovely autotech ones, so that would be Ā£600 to Ā£1k or more.

Crossover components can start cheap, many of us will have a stash of stuff that will probably work, or you can go digital. Get a Rotel 6 channel amp?

I got quotes from both and there wasnā€™t much difference but his included shipping and the autotech quote didnā€™t, at least as far as I can remember.

I got his price list in 2012, shortly after he started selling them, and his prices were well over 50% more. But Autotech themselves said to deal with Greg and wouldnā€™t sell direct. I canā€™t comment on what has happened since, but Iā€™m not willing to deal with Greg again.

It was a long time ago that I got quotes but autotech gave me a price direct, though Iā€™d need to check emails to see the prices as my memory is crap.

Iā€™d also seen a website selling some wood horns that looked nice but canā€™t remember the site now.

The guy who made the multicell horns on eBay is called Keith Shelton. I think he sold them for about Ā£250-300 per pair.

There was a site doing turned horns with Le Cleach profile. Nice looking and not too pricey. Iā€™m sure he did some folded horns too.

Wouldnt say no to a set of these although I really want some 150 Hz horns for JBL 2482.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291432637362?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3 Likes

They look very nicely made. Are they a tractrix profile?

Did CV get some 110Hz horns a while back, or was it merely a plan?

Speedy Steve can build wooden horns and not too badly priced relatively from what I remember. Thereā€™s also the conglomerate/stone ones from the German company, Stereolab I think theyā€™re called ?

1 Like

Stereo-lab.de is the website. They do multi-cell units and drivers etc too.

1 Like

Aw, linkā€™s broke.
Nice bay-sato horn.

Unlike you to send a broken linky :joy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Satohorn-Western-Electric-22A-15A-66A-Referenz-Lautsprecher-/332086492889?hash=item4d51e5bed9:g:-M0AAOSwZVlXm9tQ

Thanks, the video I linked to mustā€™ve been restricted to group members on FB. Maybe.

1 Like

Just go for broke

1 Like

Would like some of their (Stereolab) 140 hz horns but they are pricy. They used to sell just the shell so that you could apply your own plaster for damping but they donā€™t seem to offer those any more. That was a much cheaper way of doing it.

Just buy Chrisā€™s

2 Likes

I really should although Iā€™ll need to saw them off and attach new 2" throat flanges to them.