DIY Horn speakers?

They will be fairly safe where they are, not as if he can take them apart… :grinning:

I want some 2482s

will they fit your multicell? I don’t remember what you have there now.

2441s, which are pretty good actually. I don’t need anything new, I need to fucking fix what I’ve got :joy:

Not a big deal. Would just need some new flanges moulding and flying in.

So what frequency range would you use an 140 Hz horn over for it to be within the comfort zone and what are the options as far as drivers are concerned? Are those BMS 4592s any good?

I was planning to cross them in at about 300 Hz. 2482 is made to have good power handling playing that low. I have run them briefly from 500 Hz up on some Manta ray type horns that AD Pulley & I got from the Bradford Film museum. The 2482 were quite scary even there. From 300 Hz they should be very entertaining.

The epic supergroup who rose from the ashes of NWOBHM.

I wonder what happened to them.

1 Like

I like the look of those german Jabo horns so am thinking about something like this. Large wooden cab housing the bass driver and then a horn on the right side for mids and a horn on the left for tweeter/treble.

Looks like a google-eyed Scooby Doo!!!

5 Likes

it’s a niche look I’ll grant you but it could take off.

Mini Onken?

1 Like

Cute.

Ah now we’re talking, like the look of those and they look to be about the right size for my room (16ft x 12ft)

Found these that I also quite like the look of but those Onkens with a jabo horn would look very good

2 Likes

The plans are easily available. Classically it takes an Altec 12" I think but that could probably be subbed.

They’re hardly horns though really. Bass cabinets with a funny slot in, and ‘full range’ drivers with some kind of growth to the front that will modify the frequency response a bit.

I was Ignoring the drivers I mean the look of the big bass box with a horn sat on top, those mini onkens with a jabo horn sat on top would look quite good.

JJ built some of the small Onkens. They were ok but did still sound more like a vented box than a horn.

I’ve actually heard good results from the various Altec VoTT systems & would consider one of those for bass. The front firing horn loaded part gives enough of a kick to make them interesting.

They look interesting and pretty sure I saw a guy on ebay who makes these horns

1 Like

Having been down the Onken route myself, I would definitely choose something horn loaded, if size was not a consideration…