DIY Horn speakers?

I stand by my first call: open baffle bass :blush:

2 Likes

Remind me again, how big is an open baffle for 25Hz?

How big is a horn for 25Hz?

Big.

2 Likes

What if I was to use my 0.26 QT 15" woofer for open baffle? is this too low a QT?

Yes. Thatā€™s much more suitable for horn loading.

1 Like

How low did your open baffles go at Scalford? I seem to remember that the in-room response was actually rising as it went down to 20Hz. My Lampizators were great fun in the bass too.

I know horn is best, but OB keeps many of the benefits and itā€™s a lot more sensible in terms of size. If youā€™re going to have a system limited for size to a ā€˜normalā€™ large speaker, as seems to be suggested, I reckon there will be better results from OB than horn.

1 Like

The eminence alpha 15a has a Qts of 1.26, which is much more appropriate for OB.

2 Likes

As an OB designer, canā€™t you just tell us? :smile:

Pretty sure that was a measurement artefact. They didnā€™t really go that low.

1 Like

I agree, but what was certain was that they had great bass

1 Like

Yeah, but how big is an open baffle for 25Hz?

I have some mini Onken boxes with Focal 10c01 drivers, they are lovely but the alignment only really works with SS power amps, high output impedance of valve amp is enough to mess up the port tuning.
Itā€™s also a nightmare finding a driver that works with an Onken box properlyā€¦
If you do fancy it there is areally some great threads on diyaudio.com

How much music is there at 25Hz anyway? How much is there below 35 come to that unless you listen to cathedral organ music? I built ob u-frames with18" drivers and they go well low enough for what I listen to. Guy heard them so might chip in with a critique but they impress me, and they have improved a lot since Guy was here!

I have 15" OB drivers - i think the bass I get from them is outstanding

Also I have a pair of 18" drivers made by RCF available v cheap - PM if interested

1 Like

Mate! Never mind the speakers, thereā€™s a FUCKING MIDGET PANDA IN YOUR LIVING ROOM.

Quick! Grab the little bastard! Heā€™ll be worth a fortune on eBay!

Canā€™t remember how deep the bass goes in mine,itā€™s not very low but as Ritchie said,it is very clean

Meh

Iā€™m thinking of a YL mid but wonder how difficult it is to get an adapter to fit a horn. @coco did you do this or were all the YL drivers you had matched to YL horns?