Donald Trump finally announced as some massive in-joke (Part 2)

Live right next door, so not so much :pensive:
As Pierre Trudeau said in a 1969 Washington Press Club speech -
ā€œLiving next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt,ā€

2 Likes

That is not just true for Canada. We worked on projects about ā€˜when the USA sneezes, Australia catches a coldā€™ 20-odd years ago when I lived in Melbourne.

1 Like

Just watched the Joe Biden press conference from last night. Ffs, the democrats have got themselves into a bit of a hole now. Biden clearly too old and deteriorating, the gaffs will only get worse and he certainly isnā€™t fit for any sort of televised debate. Time is rapidly running out to find a successor, if it hasnā€™t already. Where do they go now to prevent Trump from walking it? Proposing Biden for another five year term is just ludicrous.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, if Biden is the best they can drum up, the Democrats are doomed.

Sadly, I think it is. Apparently Harris is not well liked and polls very low so she is a no no. They donā€™t seem to have put any sort of succession planning in place which is an unforgivable oversight considering his age and condition. I donā€™t follow US politics that closely but according to the political pundits Iā€™ve seen itā€™s defo going to Biden which is so fcking preposterous itā€™s almost beyond belief they are even considering it.

2 Likes

He was called ā€˜sleepy Joeā€™ 4 years ago. Coma Joe doesnā€™t ooze nation building dynamic energy - Itā€™s a shit show.

3 Likes

If your political system canā€™t produce and elect people capable of leading the nation then as a democracy you are fucked.

And yeah, I know.

1 Like

Judging by the state of both likely contenders itā€™s clear dysfunction / corruption and full power derp are driving democracy down the pan. In a game of chess one would attempt to bluff, the other would think heā€™s looking at the tiles on a tiny toilet floor. What a state, craft.

Trump or Biden?

Insanity or senility.

1 Like

At least if Biden got in there would be others of a reasonably sensible persuasion pulling the strings. But who the fck will vote for him other than die hard democrats? If that was my old man I wouldnā€™t be letting him venture into town on his own and heā€™d be getting his meals delivered from Wiltshire Farm Foods.

4 Likes

Iā€™m hoping the Dems spin this one appropriately - itā€™s a fairly blatant bit of partisanism from the Republican investigator.

Thereā€™s long been convention that incumbents donā€™t really get serious challengers if they seek re-election. Unfortunately Biden appears to lack the common sense to stand aside given the perceptions of his mental state. And whilst itā€™s easy to say thereā€™s no obvious alternative candidates, itā€™s worth noting that Obama was a pretty unknown candidate when he first pitched in for the nomination.

1 Like

I genuinely donā€™t think Biden has a clue about his mental state, he still thinks he is sharp as a tack. Itā€™s down to people in the party to tell him and shout down his wife, who by all accounts is the driver. Heā€™s done, someone needs to tell him that and the damage he may cause if he doesnā€™t step down. If he doesnt listen then someone needs to challenge him publicly If they donā€™t then Trump is a shoe in

1 Like

2 Likes

American politics: the cunt of personality writ large

1 Like

While this performance wonā€™t help, on the plus side. Mrs was out in North Carolina last week with a mostly liberal thinking cohort who were doom and gloom re Trump 3-4 months back. Not so much now, theyā€™re heartened that he can only scrape 50% of the vote in the first couple of primaries on a very low turn out. Should be getting 80% and more as an incumbent. Feeling is heā€™s majorly lost the womenā€™s vote and thereā€™s a good deal of people prepared to vote to ensure he doesnā€™t get in, Republican leaning as well as Demā€™s. Much can change but isnā€™t looking quite the forgone conclusion it was a few weeks back. Hopefully Joe wonā€™t go to sleep at the lectern in the coming weeks

1 Like

The fact that Trump has personally taken responsibility for the overturn of Roe v Wade should lose him plenty of votes.
Abortion rights are probably the single biggest thing motivating an anti-republican vote.

2 Likes

Appears to have made a difference, hereā€™s hoping

Biden is leading in polls again. But yeah, not much of a choice between the two.
The Republicans have shown their incompetence several times latel;, they voted no to a bipartisan immigration bill that contained billions of dollars for the border because Trump wants border ā€œchaosā€ as an election issue, their impeachment of Biden stalled because it was such an incompetently organized sham (their own witnesses admitted there was no impeachable crime they could name), their Hunter Biden fishing expedition found nothing but some dick pics, they lost their impeachment of Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas when they control Congress :rofl:

2 Likes

Senator Jamie Raskin trolling Marjorie Taylor Greene and forcing her to stomp out of the hearing and her media meltdowns in the ensuing hours :pinched_fingers:

3 Likes