Driverless - would you dare?

Would you trust Windows to stop you dying? It still can’t work a printer reliably

1 Like

I refer the honourable gentleman to the first three words of my last reply.

We’ve had a 2013 then 2017 Volvo, both had driver-assist systems, including self-parking. Experimented with the former features and there was both a clear evolutionary improvement and underlying inadequacies in both, such that I’d not even take my hands from the wheel for a moment; in both cases I never once trusted the self-park systems. I hope such systems have made a LOT of improvements since 2017…

I suspect it’s further off than the Silicon Valley mob would have us believe, especially outside the US. True self driving is a long long way beyond driver with driver aids. I agree, it would be great as driving in the UK is 95% crap

My 2013 Focus has self parking and it is brilliant 95% of the time.
I wouldn’t be without it

The trick is to pick the appropriate analogy. How about “all the same protests came in when it was decided to put lead tetraethyl into petrol to stop the knocking” ?

The worst car accident rates we ever saw came between standing red-flag man down and introducing more traffic legislation along with driving tests.

Just removing safeguards for the sake of it is what Johnson would do.

Does it do the steering wheel and you do the rest? My mini parallel parks like that - so even manoeuvring between 2 stationary objects needs a person to operate the main controls…

Eh? name one car that uses windows as an OS?

It has nothing to do with the OS, it’s all about how much data can be collected via sensors and how that data is reacted upon.

Once they can write workflows for all scenarios self driving will be safe.

Yes, I still need to change gear, but it does tell me when to do it!
Great system especially in tight spots.
It also has assisted parking in that you park your self but there are amber and red signals all round the car with an audible alarm when you get too close.
I think in later models it will also automatically reverse park in to a perpendicular bay

Perhaps i should have said software ‘like’ windows. ie. developed by a commercial software company with a similar attitude to testing and quality. The software in a car will be many many orders of magnitude more complicated than airborne software, it’ll go through significantly less testing and the software industry has a less than stellar record for releasing software that is actually ready for production.

Your last sentence is why I’ll never trust it

All this seems a way off. My brand new 2022 car doesn’t even have cruise control or any parking sensors.

There’s your problem. Something that is effectively impossible.

A workflow based system isn’t suitable. Really, it needs true AI - current systems aren’t, they’re just statistical models, but it may be possible to get them to the point where they are as good or better than human drivers.

So they have to rely on machine learning and AI in some form, and that’s effectively untestable beyond really simple systems (which cars aren’t).

IMO, yes, it’s the only way. But they don’t have to be perfect, humans aren’t either, just as good as, or better overall.

It’s not the same thing but my current car has radar guided cruise control. Twice in the time I’ve owned it, when it has been raining very heavily, the system has disengaged because it is no longer happy with the data it is receiving. There’s an audible warning and dashboard message that this has happened and you’d need to be unconscious to not notice it.

In the case of cars with a full set of accessible controls, I’m reasonably relaxed about automation. In something where you don’t have that… hmm.

A tad late to this thread. I don’t think it’ll be too far in to the future when people wonder how on earth we managed to get around using manual cars. It’ll certainly be safer when the erratic & chaotic human mind no longer has an input.

It seems to be how to morally programme the car to respond to an unavoidable accident that’s causing a headache. Should the car hit a pedestrian, or take avoiding action and kill the occupant?

Ai will be essential. it’s virtually certain for the future but sadly the ability to bark 'Drive Jeeves you bastard" is a way off.

Jumping in and shouting “Follow that car” will be met with a request for the serial number and lon/lat co-ordinates of the car in question.
“The blue one with the cad in a trilby” will not compute.